How hot is it in Southern California?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
It’s so hot my Russian actually took a drink when I soaked her today; this is the first time she’s ever drunk in the summer.

I think she is actually in aestivation; she rarely comes out or eats. She kept disappearing and I finally realized she’s not always hanging out in her burrow; she’s crawling into her night box! It’s hotter in there (not too hot, but hotter) but it’s also darker; that’s the only attraction I can think of. Last night was the hottest night of the year (so far) and she actually slept in there. This is the only summer she’s ever *not* been a good eater so it’s a little nerve wracking but I keep reminding myself I’m always nervous over nothing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It was 118 here yesterday. Miserable. Punishing. Going outside burns your eyeballs. Not kidding.

Its hovering at 116 on one thermometer today, but my car thermometer went up to 121 as I was driving around and its usually pretty accurate.

Got all the misters and sprinklers running on the tortoises all day today. So glad my sulcatas have burrows! They are all deep underground.

My super-duper insulated tortoise night boxes only got up to 95 inside yesterday. I was pretty happy about that, and so were the tortoises. All of mine are still eating well. No aestivation for my species.

Found this guy hanging out in my Chersina pen last night. It appears he took care of the rat in there that has been avoiding all of my attempts to trap it.
IMG_1314.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
It was 118 here yesterday. Miserable. Punishing. Going outside burns your eyeballs. Not kidding.

Its hovering at 116 on one thermometer today, but my car thermometer went up to 121 as I was driving around and its usually pretty accurate.

Got all the misters and sprinklers running on the tortoises all day today. So glad my sulcatas have burrows! They are all deep underground.

My super-duper insulated tortoise night boxes only got up to 95 inside yesterday. I was pretty happy about that, and so were the tortoises. All of mine are still eating well. No aestivation for my species.

Found this guy hanging out in my Chersina pen last night. It appears he took care of the rat in there that has been avoiding all of my attempts to trap it.
View attachment 305541
That is a fat happy snake! Enjoy and very nice of you for the handling!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a fat happy snake! Enjoy and very nice of you for the handling!
I hate moving them to an unfamiliar area, but I can't have them around, and I really don't want to kill them. I wish they weren't so darn dangerous to other animals. I cater to the gopher and king snakes. The consequences of a rattlesnake bite are just too severe and they are so quick to bite if approached. I take them miles out into the hills to remote wild locations where there are no people and wish them the best of luck.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I hate moving them to an unfamiliar area, but I can't have them around, and I really don't want to kill them. I wish they weren't so darn dangerous to other animals. I cater to the gopher and king snakes. The consequences of a rattlesnake bite are just too severe and they are so quick to bite if approached. I take them miles out into the hills to remote wild locations where there are no people and wish them the best of luck.
Years ago I did animal control and snake calls were the wildest! Our venomous are the copperheads and occasionally a water moccasin! Amazing how quickly people will donate pillowcases to help remove a snake from their property! Best call was an orange snake under a ladies porch- I expected it to be an extension cord, but all be it was an albino corn snake. So friendly it curled around my wrist and rode that way to the Vet! A good Vet Tech got a new baby that day!

Reactions: Tom