How easily do tortoises breed and lay fertile eggs?

makupi

Location (City and/or State)
London
I currently have two female Hermanns 12 years old, and I want to get a male.
My two females both lay infertile eggs yearly. If I get a male this year, will next years eggs be fertile?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I currently have two female Hermanns 12 years old, and I want to get a male.
My two females both lay infertile eggs yearly. If I get a male this year, will next years eggs be fertile?
No one can predict this. There are many factors that will determine the outcome. Depends on the male, the females, the enclosures, temperatures, their mood, the weather, etc...

If you do get a male, don't skip the quarantine process.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom, but the odds are in your favor of having fertile eggs as long as the Male is of breeding age and size.
In the mean time, read up on how to properly incubate the eggs and properly care for the hatchlings so they get a proper start.

makupi

London
I agree with Tom, but the odds are in your favor of having fertile eggs as long as the Male is of breeding age and size.
In the mean time, read up on how to properly incubate the eggs and properly care for the hatchlings so they get a proper start.
I actually have all the equipment, prior to finding out I had two girls, I was convinced one must be male! This year, both are laying eggs. I've found someone who is rehoming their tortoise of 14 years so similar age to mine.

makupi

London
No one can predict this. There are many factors that will determine the outcome. Depends on the male, the females, the enclosures, temperatures, their mood, the weather, etc...

If you do get a male, don't skip the quarantine process.
In regards to quarantine, would it be long enough to keep them separated and then after hibernation next year, put them together?
I have a large outdoor enclosure with two sections, I was going to put the male in one section so he can see the females but wont be able to get to them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Until next year quarantine would be more then enough time. I would though block him from being able to see them. It could stress them all out and you don't want them to be able to touch each other.