How does my little guy's shell look? PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if I could get a little input on Nodder's shell. I think it looks good, but would like to know if I'm just a little partial!! ;)
He's 15 months, 405 grams and a little over 4 inches.
Thanks!

Enjoying the California sun today...
image-6.jpg

image-5.jpg

image-7.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-10.jpg

image-11.jpg

image-12.jpg

image-16.jpg

image-14.jpg

I'm just showing this pic because I love it...
image-13.jpg

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Morty the Torty said:
Looks great to me:) and I loved that last pic:) how did he get in there?:)

I love it too!!!!
I wired moss to the top of his hide and he LOVES it. He's so camo in there!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
His/her shell looks real smooth. Keep doing what you're going.

TortandHare

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Missouri
Wow he is looking awesome. Stewie is about the same age and due to bad info he is not nearly as smooth :-( but, live learn and found tfo :) good job!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
lol He looks just like mine! Guess we're doing it right. He's Gorgeous!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks fantastic. Seriously, I have not seen better at that age. You are doing a fantastic job. Nodder is going to be one heck of a gorgeous adult.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Looking awesome. What part of So-Cal are you in? My 5 month old Sully is on his way to the size of yours, but he has seemed to hit a plateau in growth. Can you detail your food, supplement regiment? Also, what sort of night heat sources do you have for his hide? I love the moss idea on the roof, too! Is there Coco coir in the hide, too? Or is it all regular Peat Moss?

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
He looks fantastic. Seriously, I have not seen better at that age. You are doing a fantastic job. Nodder is going to be one heck of a gorgeous adult.

WOW! Thanks for the great compliment Tom :)
Thanks for all the great threads too!

TortandHare said:
Wow he is looking awesome. Stewie is about the same age and due to bad info he is not nearly as smooth :-( but, live learn and found tfo :) good job!

I'm sure your baby is doing great now!

ALDABRAMAN said:
Beautiful.

Thank you!

lushcious said:
Wonderful shell... the last pic is great :D

I love that one too!

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
PEEEETE said:
Looking awesome. What part of So-Cal are you in? My 5 month old Sully is on his way to the size of yours, but he has seemed to hit a plateau in growth. Can you detail your food, supplement regiment? Also, what sort of night heat sources do you have for his hide? I love the moss idea on the roof, too! Is there Coco coir in the hide, too? Or is it all regular Peat Moss?

For the first 5 months, Nodder only gained 40 grams, so I wouldn't worry much. 
We're located in the High Desert-very dry!
I feed Mazuri and a few pellets of Zoo med grassland that I sprinkle lightly with Rep-cal 2-3 times a week.
Cactus, spring mix, weeds and alternating greens daily.  I also grind up hay and grass and mix it in. In summer, I feed flowers as well. Sometimes I'll chop it all up to ensure he eats a bit of everything.
I have a red light to heat his hide that I  keep on all the time. He takes naps in there throughout the day and of course sleeps in there all night.
I use sphagnum moss only in his hide and keep it at about 85 degrees with about 80% humidity in there. I soak him 3 times a week (everyday in summer) and I spray him about 5 times a day. 
Coco coir is in the rest of the enclosure.
I must add that the minute it's warm enough for him to be outside, he's in his outdoor enclosure.
Here he is over the summer-
image-4.jpg

View the thread,  
How To Raise Sulcata Hatchlings and Babies, it has great guidelines.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Your sulcata shell is the smoothest I have seen on this forum (except for Toms which are equally smooth) I'm very, very jealous ;)
So in the summer he spend all day in his outdoor enclosure ? He gets plenty of sun even with the wire covering the top to keep out predators?
I dont remember reading how old you said he was ?

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
BrinnANDGupta said:
Your sulcata shell is the smoothest I have seen on this forum (except for Toms which are equally smooth) I'm very, very jealous ;)
So in the summer he spend all day in his outdoor enclosure ? He gets plenty of sun even with the wire covering the top to keep out predators?
I dont remember reading how old you said he was ?

Oh, THANK YOU...I love that my sweet little guy is making someone jealous!!!! ;)
Yes, in summer he spends most of the day outside and gets plenty of sun with the wire cover. It's a movable enclosure, so I can follow the sun. The wire isn't very thick, so it doesn't impede the direct sunlight at all.

He's 15 months now.

These are a few pics from last winter, so you can see the wire. I have him on the patio because it was too cold on the grass.
Nodderthetort43.jpg

Nodderthetort42.jpg

Nodderthetort46.jpg

Hope these help!

Status
Not open for further replies.