How Does Mazuri (or any pellet food) Fit Into Diet?

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hi TFO,

As I read more and more about Mazuri and other pellet diets, I get more confused. I did some research on old TFO posts but mostly people inquire about where to buy the stuff. Anyhow, I have not fed Squash any Mazuri and I will mix in some ZooMed forest tortoise diet 2 or 3 times a week, but it's hard to get him to eat it.

It seems like Mazuri is like tortoise crack. They seem to love it. Wouldn't the goal of any keeper be to try and avoid processed, man-made diets completely? I'd really like to hear how more experienced keepers incorporated Mazuri/pellet diets into their tortoise(s) diets.

Personally, I would try to avoid feeding any one thing too much and that's what I feel pellet diets aim for. But that's just my opinion.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Understand that you don't "need" any pellets at all. I find them to be a convenient supplement to an otherwise good diet.

The ZooMed pellets are a good way to make grocery store greens better for the tortoises and add much needed fiber.

I use Mazuri like a vitamin supplement almost. The ingredients list is not impressive, but those ingredients act as a delivery vehicle for a nutritious payload. Mazuri is properly balanced and if there are any subtle nutrient deficiencies in the greens we feed, the Mazuri will help to compensate for them. I recommend both of these pellets as good parts of a varied diet, but do not feel like you have to use either of them. There are other, more "natural" ways, to do the same thing.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
I feed different brands of prepared food every couple of days with their greens. Some days it's Repashy, and on others it's zoomed, or National Geographic. On days I don't give pellets they get their veggies and greens.

W Shaw

The sulcata tortoise who lives at my local University is on Mazuri all winter, supplemented with winter squashes, cactus and flowers from the greenhouse he lives in. Then in the spring and summer he's allowed to graze outdoors and the Mazuri becomes the supplement. His keepers are recommending that I take a similar approach with my new little guy, making mazuri the base of his diet in winter because they say that what's available in grocery stores is all more suited for occasional treats than regular consumption. He was being fed on grocery store stuff when they got him, but they transitioned him over to more Mazuri because they say it's healthier for him.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
In the summer I feed Mazuri twice a week softened in their food . But in the winter I grinned up the Zoo Med grassland pellets and mix it in the greens to help them last 2 weeks longer, they seam to soak up extra water to help the greens last longer !

LadyKraken

I should have addressed the question because it is your post sorry that you thought it was for you :/

destortoise

VA and WA
I should have addressed the question because it is your post sorry that you thought it was for you :/

Oh no! It is totally okay but I did just order some on Amazon. My plan is to integrate it with some greens. I really don't want him hooked on it

LadyKraken

Oh no! It is totally okay but I did just order some on Amazon. My plan is to integrate it with some greens. I really don't want him hooked on it

oki hehe, well today I saw the zooMed tortoise diet for $16 for me thats kind of expensive my tort came with Mazuri she loves it but I do want to try the other brand also I put some calcium in her pumpkin and pepper and she didnt want it so I had to change to lettuce again :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I feed my R/F Mazuri about once every 5 to 10 days. Or whenever I run low in other foods.
Yesterday I chopped up some mushrooms and red bell pepper in with it and they all went WILD.
The small bags tend to be expensive, but the 25 pound bags available at most feed stores are only $30-$35. (A dollar and change per pound)And I can tell you that even with seven adult tortoises, it last a LOOOOONG time.
I.M.O. I find that Mazuri works so well for me that I have no interest in trying any other prepared type foods.

LadyKraken

I feed my R/F Mazuri about once every 5 to 10 days. Or whenever I run low in other foods.
Yesterday I chopped up some mushrooms and red bell pepper in with it and they all went WILD.
The small bags tend to be expensive, but the 25 pound bags available at most feed stores are only $30-$35. (A dollar and change per pound)And I can tell you that even with seven adult tortoises, it last a LOOOOONG time.
I.M.O. I find that Mazuri works so well for me that I have no interest in trying any other prepared type foods.
ZooMed is $30-35?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
oki hehe, well today I saw the zooMed tortoise diet for $16 for me thats kind of expensive my tort came with Mazuri she loves it but I do want to try the other brand also I put some calcium in her pumpkin and pepper and she didnt want it so I had to change to lettuce again :(

It lasts a very long time. You only need very little per day. Soaking one or two pellets and mixing it in with the rest of the food for the day is all you need.

LadyKraken

I have Mazuri already but was interested in ZooMed also