How do you find places to adopt Tortoises, the Torts who have lost their families

pjhdisfan

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, FL
I am still grieving the loss of our little Keinu., and while I am not ready to have a new shell child, our doctor suggested that maybe we should look into adoption. To find a tort, who lost their family, and needs a new loving home. We live in central Florida, and I was wondering, if any of you knew where I could look, once we are ready. Thanks so much!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would suggest looking first at Craigslist. Torts are on there for many reasons.

Then, let your local shelters and vet offices know you are looking.

Contact any reptile clubs. They usually emphasize lizards, but somebody might know someone...

Watch this forum. We always have folks trying to find homes for their tortoises. Here's a couple links that might help.

Post on this one:

Tortuga26

PeoriaAz
I am still grieving the loss of our little Keinu., and while I am not ready to have a new shell child, our doctor suggested that maybe we should look into adoption. To find a tort, who lost their family, and needs a new loving home. We live in central Florida, and I was wondering, if any of you knew where I could look, once we are ready. Thanks so much!
Hi, my name is Laura, i live in Phoenix Az.
I have a beautiful 1 1/2 - 2 yr old Sulcata who is healthy and growing like a weed. I am looking to find a good home for (him/her).
Visiting a friend in Jan or Feb 2018, she told me the story of her husband finding what he thought was a toy turtle on the front porch about a month before, he was bringing it in thinking it was a grandkids toy when all of the sudden it’s legs started moving. They were shocked!
They put it in the back yard thinking it could take care of itself.
Her husband went and got the leaf blower out and used it to uncover the “critter” out back. He brought it in for me to see it and ask what to do.
This poor baby was literally the size of a quarter! I immediately said, can I have it?
They were glad and said yes. He/she is now 4 1/2” wide X 6” long.
I have a pool and he keeps going straight for it every time we let him out in the yard!
He is such a fast mover I’m worried if I look away he will go right in.
His/Her name is Rocky because that poor little thing lived against all odds.
(I forgot to say, none of their neighbors had a Sulcata so it had to have come from the river bed over a block away.)
Are you close to Phoenix? Would you like to adopt Rocky?

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
Hi, my name is Laura, i live in Phoenix Az.
I have a beautiful 1 1/2 - 2 yr old Sulcata who is healthy and growing like a weed. I am looking to find a good home for (him/her).
Visiting a friend in Jan or Feb 2018, she told me the story of her husband finding what he thought was a toy turtle on the front porch about a month before, he was bringing it in thinking it was a grandkids toy when all of the sudden it’s legs started moving. They were shocked!
They put it in the back yard thinking it could take care of itself.
Her husband went and got the leaf blower out and used it to uncover the “critter” out back. He brought it in for me to see it and ask what to do.
This poor baby was literally the size of a quarter! I immediately said, can I have it?
They were glad and said yes. He/she is now 4 1/2” wide X 6” long.
I have a pool and he keeps going straight for it every time we let him out in the yard!
He is such a fast mover I’m worried if I look away he will go right in.
His/Her name is Rocky because that poor little thing lived against all odds.
(I forgot to say, none of their neighbors had a Sulcata so it had to have come from the river bed over a block away.)
Are you close to Phoenix? Would you like to adopt Rocky?
oh Laura, I wish we were closer, we live in Central Florida. Prayers that you find him a forever home.
Thanks
Paula

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
I would suggest looking first at Craigslist. Torts are on there for many reasons.

Then, let your local shelters and vet offices know you are looking.

Contact any reptile clubs. They usually emphasize lizards, but somebody might know someone...

Watch this forum. We always have folks trying to find homes for their tortoises. Here's a couple links that might help.

Post on this one:
Thank you I will!
Paula

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
There are strong regional herpetological societies in the central and southern parts of Florida. I think you will find the closest in the Orlando or Tampa areas.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
You are so sweet just want to give you a virtual hug. Hope you will be able to find a new shell baby soon. Just keep looking. Goodness knows we need good people to take care of our turtles and tortoises. :<3: ? :tort::<3:

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
I'm curious...where and how did you find your Hermann's?
My husband found a man in St. Petersburg, through some online searching. I am fairly sure he works with breeders or possibly is a breeder, because they had alot of snakes for sale too. Our new addition is approximately 2 years old, and I think a girl. (flat plastron). She is very active, loves to climb everything.

pjhdisfan

Lakeland, FL
Thank you all so much! Here is our little 2 yr old girl, Katiana. She is much larger than our little Keinu was and much more active. She is make me crazy worried, she like to climb her walls of her tortoise house, I'm constantly having to put her back down on all fours. (She's in my home office, so thankfully I am right there with her.)

Attachments

• Kataina.jpeg
    Kataina.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 5

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congrats too cute!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
So happy you have a new tortoise! Keep us posted and if you have questions. One of the knowledgeable forum members will help you. Better to ask lots of questions or look into many of the older posts.
Congrats!
:<3::tort::):<3: