How do you feed Mazuri vs fresh grasses/weeds and greens

Amajoy

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
So I recently bought Mazuri for Dezzi to try because he wasn't freely eating the grassland tortoise food. He Loves it!!! He is right now 2.75" long and 69 grams and he was eating at least a whole nugget but today he was a real piggy and ate both nugguts that I put in there with his greens. He is eating less greens, like almost doesn't touch them when I feed him Mazuri. I was just wondering how often you feed Mazuri. I had been trying to do it every other day so at least he eats his greens.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would only feed two to three times a week. Specially if he is that crazy and not wanting to eat the greens. However, I would soak mazuri and smear it on the greens. He then has to eat the greens to get the mazuri. A varied diet is of course what you want him to have, not going off other foods cuz he's addicted to the mazuri

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oli ate Roman lettuce for years.
Romaine is perfectly fine. Iceburg, the clear/light green one is not.
I just mentioned because when I first introduced my torts to Mazuri, they liked it so much that they went on a hunger strike and wouldn't eat anything else.
It was a balancing act until I found how often I could feed it and they would still eat everything else. For me it's once every 7-10 days.

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
Thanks everyone for the tips and advise. I will definitely try smearing/mixing the soaked Mazuri with greens vs. feeding separately. With feeding Mazuri a few times a week I don't need to use raptical with D3 right? Or should I still have a day or two a week with that?

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
Thanks everyone for the tips and advise. I will definitely try smearing/mixing the soaked Mazuri with greens vs. feeding separately. With feeding Mazuri a few times a week I don't need to use raptical with D3 right? Or should I still have a day or two a week with that?
I would still add a little a couple times a week. They are getting a good ratio the days they eat Mazuri, but not an excess amount that will balance out the rest of their weekly food necessarily, especially if they are eating low calcium foods the rest of the week.