How do you exchange money when selling

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineapple

5 Year Member
I'm selling my tort and have been educated on the shipping method but don't know how/what the money exchange would look like. I don't want to ship my tortoise and not get paid!

Advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not only my tort, but most anything I have gotten over the Internet has been Paypal. Then both parties feel safe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all I find out appx. what the shipping costs are going to be, then I include that in the price of the tortoise and collect it all from the buyer through PayPal before the tortoise is shipped.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I like to collect my pets when possible, but if I have to receive by courier and the owner doesn't have paypal I usually pay half before and half after.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
When I have sold things, I usually take cash or a check. People worry about taking a check because "what if it bounces?" or "what if they cancel it before I can cash it?"

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Paypal. If you don't have an account it is easy to set one up. Safe and secure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm old fashioned. I don't like PayPal or other electronic stuff and I am very small time. I prefer to just wait on a cashiers check or money order. This may lose me some sales, but I'm okay with that.

argus333

5 Year Member
pay pal or postal money order if person does not have pay pal account.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've been using Paypal for a while and it's alright but it does tend to favor the buyer if there is a conflict. Something to keep in mind.

Spn785 said:
When I have sold things, I usually take cash or a check. People worry about taking a check because "what if it bounces?" or "what if they cancel it before I can cash it?" It is actually rather simple to avoid this, when you endorse the check write "without recourse" under your signature and account number. That way if the check does bounce, or they try and cancel it after you have deposited it, the bank gets screwed over not you. Though, as my grandpa always said, "Cash is better than trash." :D

Except for the part where most banks will not accept checks endorsed in such a way.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Paypal or Postal money order for internet transactions. Cash for in person transactions. There are too many ways to get burned when accepting personal checks. I always make sure that I have full payment (including shipping cost) in my account and clear or in hand before I ship the animals. There is a small handful of long time trusted tortoise friends that I don't worry about payment from, but all others I go by the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.