How do you build a friendship with your Tort?

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
485BEC2C-134D-477E-BE39-930D91E5FB03.jpeg
Hey everyone! So in terms of his shell, these photos were taken a few weeks apart from each other; the one where he’s looking directly at the camera is most recent. Thanks to EVERYONE who has been so kind to offer me advice. The fact you all have a shared desire to make Yoshi the happiest he can be makes me very grateful to be apart of this community.

Attachments

• 35C5024B-EE29-4579-BC33-0129FB84E383.jpeg
    35C5024B-EE29-4579-BC33-0129FB84E383.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • E97AA2BE-BB5C-488C-9DA7-C53C39F53B23.jpeg
    E97AA2BE-BB5C-488C-9DA7-C53C39F53B23.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

CaggyQ

Donegal
Don't throw away your Aspen. It makes a good firestarter for a barbecue. I bought some once and that's what I came up with to not waste my money. My tortoise hated it.?
This is BRILLIANT to know Cathie! We are starting to get a bit of sunshine here in Ireland so we’re all firing up the BBQs while we can! ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly again! I have a block of coconut coir, but I’m struggling to find orchid bark. Would fir be an alternative? I’ve a link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0002DIZIY/?tag=
Pets at Home sell orchid bark but you can get the finer grade of orchid bark which some members prefer online. When you are ready to expand the coir block use boiling water to kill off any little bugs that may be in it. You can bake it in the oven but I find it's quicker to use the boiling water.
My leopard already had a lot of pyramiding when I got him and that won't go away but it is possible to stop it getting any worse with regular soaking etc.
When you've raised his humidity double check your temps because right temps + humidity = healthy tort but too cold + humidity = sick tort.
Also I don't know if you have any sort of outdoor enclosure for him to enjoy some short, supervised sunshine, but if you have WHAT stores in Ireland they are selling a rigid plastic dog paddling pool for about £11. It would be a good enclosure with some substrate, water and shade available and maybe a wire cover to predator and bird proof it.

Last edited:

CaggyQ

Donegal
Pets at Home sell orchid bark but you can get the finer grade of orchid bark which some members prefer online. When you are ready to expand the coir block use boiling water to kill off any little bugs that may be in it. You can bake it in the oven but I find it's quicker to use the boiling water.
Lyn, thank you so much! I ordered some online, but I can visit Pets at Home go get him his new substrate sooner. That’s also a great trick to know about the block. I’ll definitely use the boiling water ☺️