How do I tell the gender of my tortoise???

pollack_ba

I just got a Russian tortoise a few weeks ago, I can't really tell what gender it is. Can anyone explain the differences between a male and female?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pics of the bottom shell of tail area. A male will have a longer tail then a female and the anal scutes will be shaped different. Like the above member said, if it's too small/young we won't be able to sex it yet.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
The easiest way is if the thing it pees and poops from (i don't know what's it called lol) is sticking straight out when you hold him or when he walks its a female, and if it's tucked to the side, it's a male. So again if you didn't get it; if it's sticking straight out it's a female, and if it's tucked to the side, it's a male. Hope that helps :)

Sincerely, Dylan
Instagram: @tortoiseplanet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you bought the tortoise from a pet store, that means it's probably big enough to tell the gender. Male Russian tortoises have big, long, fat tails; females' tails are shorter. All baby tortoises look female until they're big enough to start start becoming sexually mature.

("cloaca" Dylan)

pollack_ba

I bought it from a reptile website and they just shipped it without saying the gender and I'm pretty sure it's a few years old

Terri2016

Can anyone help with mines gender I've been calling it a him but want to be sure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can anyone help with mines gender I've been calling it a him but want to be sure

Yours looks like it might be too young to sex, and we'd also need to see the underside, showing the tail and anal scutes.