How do I make his hide more enticing?

Bunny Ears

Location (City and/or State)
Key West
An artsy friend of mine made Anakin Skywalker an awesome hide! Now....how do I get the big guy to use it? Right now he only goes in if I put food in there.

He's chosen a spot that I absolutely hate for his nighttime sleeping hole. It's right by my front gate, and when he digs it makes a huge mess on my walkway, plus he's too visible to people on the street. I put this hide it in a spot where he only occasionally sleeps, but that I like much better.

I can adjust the sides to make it wider or thinner. For the record, Ani is about 10" tall, 24" long, and 14" wide.

Right now, it's just dirt floor. I'd like to add some substrate though, because if he does start to dig there, he might unearth several small animals in shallow graves :oops: Not 'cause I'm psycho, but because I tend to adopt elderlyIMG_20200530_172651.jpg animals. Wondering what I should use?

We'll add a heating pad in winter. Right now, nights are mid-80's here.

You can't quite see what it's like inside: It's pie-shaped, it narrows as you move towards the back, maybe 6 feet deep.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises shelter in dark, tight-fitting places - under a bush, in a corner by the lawn mower, in a tight fitting burrow of his own making. Your hiding place is not in a location he feels safe and it's too big inside. He would probably be more inclined to use it if it were smaller and over by the front gate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah, i know our Sully likes her hide “tight fitting” just large enough to skooch into, but then enough room inside to snuggle in & burrow, not a cavern.

I also see a terra cotta bowl inside. No need for dishes or other things inside their sleeping hide. You’ve got to think like a tortoise. Find a spot it likes to plonk down. Turn the opening side so it’s protected. Maybe add a bag of cypress mulch (not hay, not straw, not cedar) inside so it has something to dig around In.

Nice Sully u have. Good luck.

Bunny Ears

Key West
Cool I'll definitely try make it tighter, and the entrance at a different angle. It is up against my back fence and under a bunch of low, leafy branches, you just can't tell in the pic. I just had his food dish in there to entice him in for a picture, normally it's elsewhere. Very helpful, thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also find that habituation works, in addition to these other suggestions. Put the tortoise in the new sleeping area every night well after dark. Usually a couple of weeks of this will convince them.

Bunny Ears

Key West
Put the tortoise in the new sleeping area every night well after dark. Usually a couple of weeks of this will convince them.
Lol, you make it sound so easy! Anakin is over 100lbs. "Putting" him anywhere would involve two guys and a wheelbarrow.

Boyfriend is coming over in a bit with his tools to redo the tortoise house. Wish us luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lol, you make it sound so easy! Anakin is over 100lbs. "Putting" him anywhere would involve two guys and a wheelbarrow.

Boyfriend is coming over in a bit with his tools to redo the tortoise house. Wish us luck!
Your tortoise didn't come with a fork lift? I thought that was a requirement...

Bunny Ears

Key West
Update. First, we made the cave smaller, but Anakin still wasn't interested. My boyfriend tried physically putting him in there one night, nearly threw out his back, but Ani just walked right back to his usual spot, lol. Finally, we just moved the darn cave to his favorite spot, though it certainly wasn't where I wanted it. In other words, the tortoise won, but I'm gonna go ahead and call it a compromise :) He seems happy with it, and I feel more at peace knowing he's not exposed at night, so win-win. Thank you all so much for your help!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Update. First, we made the cave smaller, but Anakin still wasn't interested. My boyfriend tried physically putting him in there one night, nearly threw out his back, but Ani just walked right back to his usual spot, lol. Finally, we just moved the darn cave to his favorite spot, though it certainly wasn't where I wanted it. In other words, the tortoise won, but I'm gonna go ahead and call it a compromise :) He seems happy with it, and I feel more at peace knowing he's not exposed at night, so win-win. Thank you all so much for your help!
?Tortoise always wins the race.