How do I know if my tortoise is poisoned?

Jenna524

Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
We just got our male Sulcata, Toki, this week and we’re totally in love. He’s amazing! We’ve been helping him get to know his pen and yard. We had planned everything out ahead of time and planted all sorts of grasses and weeds and cactus for him. We thought we were being so careful to take out plants that were toxic. Today we watched him chew on the random weeds that popped up, and I got curious to see what they were called and all. So I checked and saw one of them is a type of euphorbiaceae, which says is toxic on the tortoise table site. I’m so sad and worried that we allowed him to chew on it. Of course they will be removed. What can I do now to save him? Is there a way to help him not get sick?

Attachments

• D044E6A2-CDBC-4539-886C-CD6FA661E77A.png
    D044E6A2-CDBC-4539-886C-CD6FA661E77A.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 1AB10DAE-523B-4C0C-858A-05DB9D1E4DC4.jpeg
    1AB10DAE-523B-4C0C-858A-05DB9D1E4DC4.jpeg
    923 KB · Views: 57

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
We just got our male Sulcata, Toki, this week and we’re totally in love. He’s amazing! We’ve been helping him get to know his pen and yard. We had planned everything out ahead of time and planted all sorts of grasses and weeds and cactus for him. We thought we were being so careful to take out plants that were toxic. Today we watched him chew on the random weeds that popped up, and I got curious to see what they were called and all. So I checked and saw one of them is a type of euphorbiaceae, which says is toxic on the tortoise table site. I’m so sad and worried that we allowed him to chew on it. Of course they will be removed. What can I do now to save him? Is there a way to help him not get sick?
P. S. He does not show any sign of being sick as of now. I’m not sure if he will later.

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
I would give him long soaks in warm water for the next week and keep an eye on any signs of sickness
Good idea! I’m interested in the best way to do the long soak. When I tried to put him in his water heater pan earlier this week for a soak, he just hopped right out and hasn’t showed any interest in soaking or drinking. Is it recommended to soak him in a tub that he can’t get out of? (Like a plastic tote bin?)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Good idea! I’m interested in the best way to do the long soak. When I tried to put him in his water heater pan earlier this week for a soak, he just hopped right out and hasn’t showed any interest in soaking or drinking. Is it recommended to soak him in a tub that he can’t get out of? (Like a plastic tote bin?)
Yes. Something he cannot climb out of. At least an hr soak everyday for a week. While watching for any change in behavior

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I has a tort that are a plumeria leaf, toxic. I did nothing and he had no signs of anything being wrong. Hes still with me today.
A daily soak isn't really needed. If it will make you feel better go for it.
If he didn't eat much, it likely won't bother him at all. If he ate a lot, make sure he stays hydrated, can feed cucumber, water melon and cactus pads for extra hydration. I really wouldn't worry unless you see a sign.
A baby would be a different story.

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
Yes. Something he cannot climb out of. At least an hr soak everyday for a week. While watching for any change in behavior
So he really didn’t seem to like the soak at all. He just clawed at the sides of the tub the whole time. Is this normal?

Also, he peed the white stuff in his water. Do I need to change the water when he pees and poos during a soak? Or just let him keep on soaking with it in there?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I believe it would all depend on how much she/he ate regarding the euphorbiaceae.
If you were concerned, a soak with the carrot baby food would NOT hurt and may give you some relief (as Wellington had mentioned above). Depending on how soon she/he pooped/pee'd would for me determine how I would proceed. Leaving her/him in poopy water is not a good idea. So if she/he pooped towards the end of the soak, then make it a shorter soak, if it's in the beginning, then pull'em out, dump and refill the tub and return them to soak for the remainder if the time...
And mine constantly try to climb out of the tub during a soak, so I wouldn't worry bout that.