How do I know if my leopard tortoise is growing too fast??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mark is much more knowledgeable about turtles and tortoises than I, but I'm not seeing what he's seeing in the picture. To me it looks like the pyramiding has been going on all the tortoise's life, not just started, like he said to you.

Your set up looks good, but I'd try for a bit more humidity. Do you wet the substrate? I mean, actually WET it, not just a spritz from a spray bottle.

Yaaapops

AZ
Mark is much more knowledgeable about turtles and tortoises than I, but I'm not seeing what he's seeing in the picture. To me it looks like the pyramiding has been going on all the tortoise's life, not just started, like he said to you.

Your set up looks good, but I'd try for a bit more humidity. Do you wet the substrate? I mean, actually WET it, not just a spritz from a spray bottle.
No this seems to be my problem! I have one of those really nice sprayers from Home Depot that people use weed spray and bug spray in so it does a solid soaking but I’m realizing it’s only getting the surface level which is probably my issue. Thanks to you and Barb I’m going to be actually pouring in some water now instead :)

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
No this seems to be my problem! I have one of those really nice sprayers from Home Depot that people use weed spray and bug spray in so it does a solid soaking but I’m realizing it’s only getting the surface level which is probably my issue. Thanks to you and Barb I’m going to be actually pouring in some water now instead :)
Yes! I keep my Russian in an enclosed chamber and pour water into the substrate. It keeps it perfectly humid.