How do I help my Turtle?!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
she gets real sunlight here and there.

yes,ok! gonna make babsey healthy!
appreciate all the help to the max!
She needs a few hours a day of sunshine or artificial UVB from an overhead florescent tube designed for reptiles.
real sunlight, not filtered through a window or a screen will usually be the best medicine.

Killerrookie

One of my torts will scratch the enclosure door begging for food as they stare at me laying in bed, even tho I just filled up his food a couple mins ago.

BrIz

yea! I like the real sunshine better.
dont think I care for this uvb light business stuff yet

BrIz

so most turtles just see us as food bringers?
Is there any way to change their perspective?
oorr
thats dumb ..Turtles are Turtles
we just have to be the best food givers they know

BrIz

its regular
she watches me crochet a sweater for her
try It on hangout
yea i guess its just something we do

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yup. They just stare. Mine watched me all the time. Even when I'm taking a nap. It's kind of creepy stalker-ish.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's a three toed box turtle - Terrapene carolina triunguis. Clip off the tip of that overgrown beak, and clip the nails up to the blood line you can see inside the nail.

Killerrookie

we didnt know their was so much to care for a turt
This is one reason it's not a beginners pet because there's so so much to learn and do to keep a turtle or a tortoise healthy and in the best conditions. Wish you luck on the little guy tho! Be very handsome after a manicure and some adjustments.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
Since you are in CA, have you thought about maybe setting up an outdoor enclosure for her? Or even just one you can plop her in for a few hours a day to soak up that natural light?

BrIz

don't have a backyard or front yard to set It up anywhere.
letting her walk outside for a bit to get sun most days should be ok right ?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
a vet should trim the beak and nails. ASAP.

this is from Sandy Barnett who is an expert on Box turtles. PLEASE read through this link-

http://www.boxturtlefacts.org/Feeding_North_American_Box_Turtles.pdf

****This part is especially true- Earthworms are quite different from mealworms, supermealies, and waxworms. The latter three invertebrates are insect larvae, not true worms. (Mealworms and supermealies become beetles; waxworms become moths). Unlike earthworms, which

are annelids, nearly all insects have low calcium content and an inverse calcium to phosphorus ratio. In small amounts they are fine to offer as treats – most box turtles love them – but a steady diet will interfere with calcium absorption and cause calcium to be removed from a turtle’s bones, possibly leading to Metabolic Bone Disease. This can happen especially quickly in young growing turtles with high calcium requirements. If you feed commercially raised insects (e.g., mealworms, supermealies, waxworms, house crickets) dust them with calcium powder (Rep-Cal, ZooMed) immediately before serving. The calcium should have Vit D3 additive if your turtles live indoors.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Where do you live? She sure would enjoy some serious outside time. Diggin' in the dirt, baskin' in the sun....