How do I get him to stop flipping over?

StarShell

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm starting to get really worried because every day I find Yuno on his back and yesterday was the worst because I had created a barrier on my desk that I keep him on whenever I switch up the enclosure because of flipping over and I underestimated his strength because he is a little tortoise and he managed to push it off and FELL FROM MY DESK ONTO THE FLOOR:eek:?? at least I have carpet but that still doesn't change the fact that he fell and might've gotten hurt but he was okay no damage he landed upright but today I walk into my room because I was gone going to get lunch I started to have a bad feeling and when I came home he was by his hide log upside down(away from a heat source?) so I turned him back up and now I just need help trying to make his enclosure even safer because I make sure it's fine before I start working but everyday, is there a way to stop the flipping over because this is ridiculous?
Thank you in advance

StarShell

Southern California
How do I post pictures and he/she is an Indian star tortoise
But while I wait to go get wood and build a bigger enclosure I am just using a Zoo Med tortoise house(temporary)
because the 3 x 4ft one was made of cheap wood because again it was an old travel enclosure for my older Indian star. The hide log however is dug down into the substrate so it would be closer to the bottom of the enclosure and there isn't any plants in his enclosure

Last edited:

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yes, on a computer.

On a phone, in the reply box, click on the 'insert image' icon (next to emoji button) and it will give you the option to "drop an image or click here." If you 'click here', it will ask you to choose from take photo/photo library etc.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
remove the log hide, torts have a habit of repeatedly climbing them and diving off, often flipping themselves.Use something with walls the tort cant climb. Search humid hide.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
1613522055348.png

Above is the "insert image" button on either a phone or computer.

Your google doc link does not work for me.

Get an opaque, steep sided plastic container like a shoe box, flip it over and cut a door in it for him to walk through. This way he won't be able to climb on it and flip. Adding plants (even fake ones) is a good way to make some sight barriers. He may be freaking out a bit due to lack of cover.

Is this a full grown tortoise? If so then 4x3 feet is too small.

StarShell

Southern California
View attachment 318501

Above is the "insert image" button on either a phone or computer.

Your google doc link does not work for me.

Get an opaque, steep sided plastic container like a shoe box, flip it over and cut a door in it for him to walk through. This way he won't be able to climb on it and flip. Adding plants (even fake ones) is a good way to make some sight barriers. He may be freaking out a bit due to lack of cover.

Is this a full grown tortoise? If so then 4x3 feet is too small.
Ok I'll get a plastic container I actually do have grass(Bermuda) in his enclosure in something he can't reach though, He isn't that big either he/she is almost 2 in. I'd think his enclosure is big enough for a little bit of time because I am going building a bigger one once I wait for a week to go back out again