How can I stop my tortoise scratching the walls and glass

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i want to ask there did you buy your tortoise table but i need shops from europe
I have not seen many store bought tortoise enclosures that work. Most of the typical ones sold in reptiles shops are too small, made from materials that can't stand up to moistures, and poorly designed for a tortoise. Much better and easier to make your own, or have one made.

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
I have not seen many store bought tortoise enclosures that work. Most of the typical ones sold in reptiles shops are too small, made from materials that can't stand up to moistures, and poorly designed for a tortoise. Much better and easier to make your own, or have one made.
Well my and my dad made the new one but I didn't know the size which is recommended so in length I did 1m and 62.5 cm so that's to small I fink so how big should it be? I want it big enough so I don't need to change it like big should it be for an adult russian?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You let him out to roam around in your house, so now he knows there's more to the world than what's inside his four walls and he wants back out there. In my opinion, it's a big mistake to let your tortoise know how big the world actually is.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
okey but how can i stop him from scraching the wall iam so deaspret
Unless you don't make any changes to how he's being kept, he won't stop. Have you tried any of the suggestions?
Change the redlamp?
Make sure he can't see out?
Change the substrate?
Make sure your temperatures are correct?

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
Unless you don't make any changes to how he's being kept, he won't stop. Have you tried any of the suggestions?
Change the redlamp?
Make sure he can't see out?
Change the substrate?
Make sure your temperatures are correct?
I am not an adult so I dont have a car so no I can't get anything without my parents I can't change the red lamp because my mom says that it is a waist of money to change a good lamp and I don't know if they have any dirt without pesticides or fertilizer in it but I will look for it when we go shopping and with temperature will a normal house thermometer work for now because I don't have a specific thermometer I tried covering the corners of the enclosure but that didn't work

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I am not an adult so I dont have a car so no I can't get anything without my parents I can't change the red lamp because my mom says that it is a waist of money to change a good lamp and I don't know if they have any dirt without pesticides or fertilizer in it but I will look for it when we go shopping and with temperature will a normal house thermometer work for now because I don't have a specific thermometer I tried covering the corners of the enclosure but that didn't work
Yes I understand, it is difficult then, I don't know then to be honest, because you can't make decisions for yourself.

I can say that your mom says it's a good lamp, but it isn't the right lamp for this tortoise. You have a uvb lamp right? Well you only need a 5 or 6 dollar 50/60 watt basking lamp. Just a simple basking lamp. Maybe you can tell the reason why it's not good, is because a basking lamp is for warmth but also to resemble the sun. This red lamp doesn't do that. It's red.

You say you covered the corners, but I meant the part of the glass he can't see out. Not just the corners. You can do this with tape and paper. Just enough so he can't look out.

And the rest, I don't know because you're 13 and can't decide things for yourself.

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
Yes I understand, it is difficult then, I don't know then to be honest, because you can't make decisions for yourself.

I can say that your mom says it's a good lamp, but it isn't the right lamp for this tortoise. You have a uvb lamp right? Well you only need a 5 or 6 dollar 50/60 watt basking lamp. Just a simple basking lamp. Maybe you can tell the reason why it's not good, is because a basking lamp is for warmth but also to resemble the sun. This red lamp doesn't do that. It's red.

You say you covered the corners, but I meant the part of the glass he can't see out. Not just the corners. You can do this with tape and paper. Just enough so he can't look out.

And the rest, I don't know because you're 13 and can't decide things for yourself.
i am 14 not 13 but okey i have covered the glass so he doesn't see out of the enclosure and i will change the substrate and the lamp the substrate will be like the one on the care sheet and i want to ask why does he often walk araund the back wall but not a lot in the midle and i do have a uvb lamp and i want to put some live plants in his enclosure any recomendations because i saw some in your enclosure

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
i am 14 not 13 but okey i have covered the glass so he doesn't see out of the enclosure and i will change the substrate and the lamp the substrate will be like the one on the care sheet and i want to ask why does he often walk araund the back wall but not a lot in the midle and i do have a uvb lamp and i want to put some live plants in his enclosure any recomendations because i saw some in your enclosure
It says 13 in your profile and I'm not a psychic? the point is that you're not an adult. I have callisia repens, spiderplant and catgrass. The difference is that my indoor is much bigger, I have more space. So I would only put 1 or 2 plants in there. It's normal that they walk the sides, to check the territory, but when they do it alot it's because the enclosure isn't big enough. The bigger the enclosure, the more entertaining things you can put in like plants, rocks, logs to climb, the less they'll constantly walk the perimeter (sides).

lucycdavies

Haverfordwest
My tortoise does that but she has stopped since I let her out onto the floor, it used to make me really annoyed too but I would let him out more often and interact more

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
Will the uvb help the plants grow because it's like the sun right and I think I will make (with my dad) a bigger enclosure like 244×122 size for and adult I checked and it's like the hole corner of my room if it makes him happy it makes me happy ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Will the uvb help the plants grow because it's like the sun right and I think I will make (with my dad) a bigger enclosure like 244×122 size for and adult I checked and it's like the hole corner of my room if it makes him happy it makes me happy ?
If you were my son, I would tell you that I was very proud of you for taking the time and effort to research what is best for your pet. The willingness to learn puts you ahead of many others. And the efforts to do right by your tortoise just makes you a good kid. Congrats and good luck. Also, we would be glad to answer any questions that you parents may have if you direct them here:)

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
If you were my son, I would tell you that I was very proud of you for taking the time and effort to research what is best for your pet. The willingness to learn puts you ahead of many others. And the efforts to do right by your tortoise just makes you a good kid. Congrats and good luck. Also, we would be glad to answer any questions that you parents may have if you direct them here:)
Thanks it was a great idea to join all of you but my parents are busy people and they don't really care I fink mom sometimes asks about him but dad is more a cat person but he helped me to make my buddy's (tortoise) enclosure so maybe he cares? I don't know but still they help when ever they can.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Thanks it was a great idea to join all of you but my parents are busy people and they don't really care I fink mom sometimes asks about him but dad is more a cat person but he helped me to make my buddy's (tortoise) enclosure so maybe he cares? I don't know but still they help when ever they can.
If your dad can help you that would be great! And the uvb helps the plants to grow. The basking lamp wil not help, so I wouldn't put plants too close because it's warm, most plants don't like that. If you can make that enclosure, you can have many plants, they are not expensive. And I think you and your dad can do it because you've made this enclosure too, it looks really good, only not big enough, but it looks good!

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I know what you mean. I am 13.

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
Why is he in 1 corner scathing like crazy for a couple days he only does this scratching the walls corner I tryed take him and put his In a nother spot but no he goes back to that same spot

Attachments

• 15916873189486025047513126435451.jpg
    15916873189486025047513126435451.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 7

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Why is he in 1 corner scathing like crazy for a couple days he only does this scratching the walls corner I tryed take him and put his In a nother spot but no he goes back to that same spot
Several reasons:
1 russians like to dig and hide, corners are safe for them, they will almost pick a corner. When you have the correct substrate and enough in it (15 cm) he will be happy with that.
2. They tend to do this also when they're trying to find a way out. This happens when the enclosure is not big enough, the will pace the walls and dig in corners.
3 when the temperatures are not correct, too cold too hot, they also tend to dig more to hide.

Bogulius

Kaunas Lietuva
2 reasons.
1 russians like to dig and hide, corners are safe for them, they will almost pick a corner. When you have the correct substrate and enough in it (15 cm) he will be happy with that.
2. They tend to do this also when they're trying to find a way out. This happens when the enclosure is not big enough, the will pace the walls and dig in corbers.
It could be both but I think it is more 2 than 1 because he scratches the wall and tries to climb out I have to do something like convince my dad to expand his enclosure
Well I told my mom about it so she sed that it is my folt that I didn't know that the first time. two parts of the terarium can already be used but know I need 2 more sides the bottom and top no glass this time

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
It could be both but I think it is more 2 than 1 because he scratches the wall and tries to climb out I have to do something like convince my dad to expand his enclosure
Well I told my mom about it so she sed that it is my folt that I didn't know that the first time. two parts of the terarium can already be used but know I need 2 more sides the bottom and top no glass this time
I'm glad you can use parts of the terrarium, that helps and saves money. You know what, people make mistakes, it happens, I make mistakes, we all do. It's great you are trying to do better. And you know, you're 14, you're not an adult and you're doing a great job! Maybe you're mom should've helped you a little when she knew you wanted the tortoise? you're 14, you can't drive, you can't vote and you can't decide what's for dinner?, but you're expected to be a tortoise expert and do everything perfect?
But you're doing a good job! ??