How can i make this better?

Alyssaacurtis

Location (City and/or State)
England
I have a wooden tort table. All I did to prevent the rot is put a cheap plastic shower curtain lining the bottom
Oh thats alot easier than i thought it was going to be! Thank you so much i’ll update when its done. So happy knowing he’s going to be happier and i’m doing better

and seems like it would be so much easier to clean

Alyssaacurtis

England
You don't need to buy another enclosure.

Are you dampening his substrate now? That's the first step. Take out all the decor. Pour a pitcher of water into the substrate, then use your hands to mix the water into it. Let the substrate soak up water. Add more water if needed. When done, it should feel very damp, but should not be soppy or turn into runny mud. It should hold its shape. Make sure you keep your heat up to recommended levels.

Other than that, it's best if you enclose it. I just posted this on another thread, so if you could read it there...

also i love the look of that portable greenhouse and it seems amazing. I’d love to buy one but i’m not sure it that would be best fit for the set up i have as the light is on an upright wooden pannel. I’ve take a photo of it in a second to show you and see what you think

Also another question sorry, i’ll be buying the coco coir soon and was wondering if i theres anything else i should be buying whilst i’m there. Especially whether i should be buying bedding or substrate wise as i’ve seen loads of good ones that have been recommended on here but theres now too many to choose from and i dont know which would be best for the circumstances. He’s only little so I wouldn’t want anything with too big pieces. I’m currently using hemp bedding for his hide and as a little bed area in the coolest spot of the open area. I’m aware that this is quite drying for torts. Should i switch that out completely, add something else as extra or leave it how it is?

also with the coco coir which one is the correct one to buy? The loose bags or the bricks. If the bricks, how much ish would be needed to fill the table? Once again I apologise for the amount of questions and thank you

Attachments

• 7857504D-A823-4D4A-AF93-2C951079AA2F.jpeg
    7857504D-A823-4D4A-AF93-2C951079AA2F.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

shawnateerow

Maurice
Also another question sorry, i’ll be buying the coco coir soon and was wondering if i theres anything else i should be buying whilst i’m there. Especially whether i should be buying bedding or substrate wise as i’ve seen loads of good ones that have been recommended on here but theres now too many to choose from and i dont know which would be best for the circumstances. He’s only little so I wouldn’t want anything with too big pieces. I’m currently using hemp bedding for his hide and as a little bed area in the coolest spot of the open area. I’m aware that this is quite drying for torts. Should i switch that out completely, add something else as extra or leave it how it is?

also with the coco coir which one is the correct one to buy? The loose bags or the bricks. If the bricks, how much ish would be needed to fill the table? Once again I apologise for the amount of questions and thank you

I use the bricks for the same reason as no dirt. Its dehydrated so no chance of ants in it. And for my 3x3 ft table I used 1 3-pack of bricks

Alyssaacurtis

England
I use the bricks for the same reason as no dirt. Its dehydrated so no chance of ants in it. And for my 3x3 ft table I used 1 3-pack of bricks

thank you so much. Is there any good places to buy them in bulk? I’ve see on amazon that they do a pack of 6 650g bricks for £16 and a 5kg(70L) one for the same price. I’m guessing it’s the organic one as well

shawnateerow

Maurice
thank you so much. Is there any good places to buy them in bulk? I’ve see on amazon that they do a pack of 6 650g bricks for £16 and a 5kg(70L) one for the same price. I’m guessing it’s the organic one as well

Amazon is the best price I've found, thats where I order

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Everything that @shawnateerow has said is good info! And thank you Shawna, for your input!

The vertical panel could be handled different ways. You could remove it because it won't be needed for the light any more. Or you can include it inside the tent, but you couldn't use your little table. Or you could leave it outside the tent. I'm not sure how well that would work.

The greenhouse comes with a bar in the very top. You will hang your lights from the bar. You can adjust them higher or lower to get the proper temp. Are you switching to a tube UVB light? You will hang the fixture from the bar also.

Make sure you look around on Amazon to find the greenhouse that will fit your enclosure the best. Or you may find one you like better, that would fit better.

I have coco coir in my enclosure, with cypress mulch on top. You could also put fine grade orchid bark (fir bark) in, either on top or by itself. They all hold water well and will not mold and are diggable.

Alyssaacurtis

England
Everything that @shawnateerow has said is good info! And thank you Shawna, for your input!

The vertical panel could be handled different ways. You could remove it because it won't be needed for the light any more. Or you can include it inside the tent, but you couldn't use your little table. Or you could leave it outside the tent. I'm not sure how well that would work.

The greenhouse comes with a bar in the very top. You will hang your lights from the bar. You can adjust them higher or lower to get the proper temp. Are you switching to a tube UVB light? You will hang the fixture from the bar also.

Make sure you look around on Amazon to find the greenhouse that will fit your enclosure the best. Or you may find one you like better, that would fit better.

I have coco coir in my enclosure, with cypress mulch on top. You could also put fine grade orchid bark (fir bark) in, either on top or by itself. They all hold water well and will not mold and are diggable.

oh I didn’t realise there was a bar at the top lol. I will be switching to a UV tube and flood light however i think that will be in the next pay check else it's going to end up quite pricey. Thank you both for all the information and help you’ve given me. Genuinely so thankful as i had no idea about the majority of this stuff and i’ve learned so much thats going to help my little tort be as healthy and happy as possible

AgataP

Seattle, WA
7420FAE1-DB24-4714-B875-F7B5BD9B3305.jpeg
44C70CD7-10B8-4949-A3C5-AC5D20F8604B.jpeg

Attachments

• 255493CB-5E61-4D3D-991D-883E3DA61C63.jpeg
    255493CB-5E61-4D3D-991D-883E3DA61C63.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
i’ve learned so much thats going to help my little tort be as healthy and happy as possible

That's why I'm here, Alyssa, for hours every day. I learned here, and I'm paying it forward.

It is very frustrating when someone comes to us for help, and then fights everything we suggest.

So you're the one to be commended. You've been receptive to advice and suggestions, and are acting on the improvements. You're the type of new member that makes the forum valuable. Your baby thanks you for it.

Alyssaacurtis

England
That's why I'm here, Alyssa, for hours every day. I learned here, and I'm paying it forward.

It is very frustrating when someone comes to us for help, and then fights everything we suggest.

So you're the one to be commended. You've been receptive to advice and suggestions, and are acting on the improvements. You're the type of new member that makes the forum valuable. Your baby thanks you for it.

well not going to lie i was half expecting to get moaned at and told that everything i was doing is wrong. Tbf i know that I don’t know everything and even if I’d had a tort for for years i’d still be open for improvements as no one knows everything and the whole point of the forums is to help each other and learn together. Being stubborn isn’t going to get me anywhere!

pcrealty

Wynnewood
I have a horsefield tortoise who’s just under 2 years old. Excuse the sawdusty stuff everywhere it’s a bit of a mess atm. I want to find out whether this is okay or i should be adding or getting rid of anything to make sure he stays happy and healthy.

the open bit is 80cm x 60cm (2.6ft x 2ft)
The closed bit is 30cm x 60cm (0.9ft x 2ft)

i use tortoise life and hemp bedding. There is a cuttlefish bone which I purchased the other day and he’s really taken a fancy to. In the bottom left there is a pile of the hemp bedding to create a little bit of height differences. The log in the middle was bought from a pet store that does things for tortoises which he loves to climb and hide under. The hemp round the log is to make the sides less steep to prevent him from sliding down and hurting himself or his head

i have also attached a photo of the light that i use

i feel like theres not enough however i’m scared of over crowding and putting something in there which could hurt him. Any advice given is very appreciated
In my tortoise enclosures, I have thermometers and humidifiers and meters. Also, I have an auto thermostat to shut or turn on the heating lamp, if the temperature is high or low.

Alyssaacurtis

England

My moms just came up with an idea for whilst we are waiting to get everything for him. I wanted to ask for see a more experienced person opinion on this

We have some spare perspex sheets lying around. Could we cover half of the open bit of his enclosure with it obviously leaving the light bit open to act as a slightly closed off enclosure to keep the heat and humidity in a bit more?

MagicMagenta29

Uk
I have a horsefield tortoise who’s just under 2 years old. Excuse the sawdusty stuff everywhere it’s a bit of a mess atm. I want to find out whether this is okay or i should be adding or getting rid of anything to make sure he stays happy and healthy.

the open bit is 80cm x 60cm (2.6ft x 2ft)
The closed bit is 30cm x 60cm (0.9ft x 2ft)

i use tortoise life and hemp bedding. There is a cuttlefish bone which I purchased the other day and he’s really taken a fancy to. In the bottom left there is a pile of the hemp bedding to create a little bit of height differences. The log in the middle was bought from a pet store that does things for tortoises which he loves to climb and hide under. The hemp round the log is to make the sides less steep to prevent him from sliding down and hurting himself or his head

i have also attached a photo of the light that i use

i feel like theres not enough however i’m scared of over crowding and putting something in there which could hurt him. Any advice given is very appreciated
I would say maybe get a flat slab of some sort of brick to put the food an as ive heard they prefer that and also try and swap out the sawdust for alfalfa hay or some special tortoise grass

Alyssaacurtis

England
I would say maybe get a flat slab of some sort of brick to put the food an as ive heard they prefer that and also try and swap out the sawdust for alfalfa hay or some special tortoise grass

the bowls tend to work better for him as i’ve tried a slab and he ends up just pushing all the food off and on to the dirt as he likes to eat the food furthest away from him first. Whist he’s still small enough i’m going to stick to the bowl. Its quite shallow but just keeps all the food from falling out lol. As he grows out of it I’ll move him back onto a slate. Also thank you about the suggestions for the hemp. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the alfalfa hay tbf i’ll look into it

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My moms just came up with an idea for whilst we are waiting to get everything for him. I wanted to ask for see a more experienced person opinion on this

We have some spare perspex sheets lying around. Could we cover half of the open bit of his enclosure with it obviously leaving the light bit open to act as a slightly closed off enclosure to keep the heat and humidity in a bit more?

Absolutely! We've has people use aluminum foil to cover tanks. As long as no fire hazard, anything goes.