How can I increase humidity in open air habitat?

bsstovel

Location (City and/or State)
Tustin, CA
I have a 7 month old Sulcata that I have had since it was about 2 months old and is thriving and growing quickly. This is my first tortoise, or reptile for that matter, and I want to ensure I am doing everything I can to create as positive and thriving environment as I can. I know humidity is a HUGE factor in deterring pyramiding, and although my tortoise's shell has no signs of pyramiding I want to know how to increase humidity in his open air habitat. I soak the little dude for about 30 minutes a day every single day and let him roam around my apartment for a few hours a day to get some exercise and exploring done.

I spray the habitat with a water bottle, but it dries out quicker than I'd like. I've seen reptile humidifiers online, but am hesitant as to if this is necessary. I've also read that placing a water dish in the habitat close to the heat source can create humidity.

As a side note, I live in Southern California about 10 miles from the beach, which means the natural humidity of outside is about 60%+ daily. I literally have windows open every day all day, but I'm sure the humidity isn't the same inside my apartment as outside.

Any and all suggestions are happily welcomed! Thank you in advance!
20200803_124649_resized.jpg
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...110765&th=173b62f6d00ab52d&view=att&disp=safe

Last edited:

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
You simply can’t. You’ll need a closed chamber, a Humidifier won’t Help.

That is what I figured. I was hoping there was some sort of magic tortoise trick to make this happen. Would it be better then if I switched the little dude to a closed environment until it gets older? Or will daily soaks and spraying the substrate be enough moisture?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That is what I figured. I was hoping there was some sort of magic tortoise trick to make this happen. Would it be better then if I switched the little dude to a closed environment until it gets older? Or will daily soaks and spraying the substrate be enough moisture?
You're not gonna find many folks here that will dissuade you from a closed-top enclosure. You should have that IN ADDITION to the daily soaks and spraying. Keeping your substrate moist will go a long way as well. When it gets older, I assume it will be spending the bulk of its time outdoors where it will have access to bathing and drinking water most of the day.

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
You're not gonna find many folks here that will dissuade you from a closed-top enclosure. You should have that IN ADDITION to the daily soaks and spraying. Keeping your substrate moist will go a long way as well. When it gets older, I assume it will be spending the bulk of its time outdoors where it will have access to bathing and drinking water most of the day.

Yes, of course. I plan on creating him a very nice outdoor habitat in a few years once it is grown up a bit more. Thank you for this information, because I was completely in the dark about this and the reptile house I got him from didn't tell me about this. I've had to find out a lot on my own by doing research. I'm going to go this weekend and gather materials to build an enclosed environment.

Thanks again

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Compare building your own- which I have to a neat trick others have used-grow tents turned on their sides and then line the base with plastic.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
And if you decide to build, here's how to do it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everyone else already said what I would have said, so I'll just say: Hello and welcome to the forum!

And your tortoise should never be loose on the floor. It cannot be made safe and frequently ends in disaster. Its also too cold down there.

Last edited:

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
Everyone else already said what I would have said, so I'll just say: Hello and welcome to the forum!

And your tortoise should never be loose on the floor. It cannot be made safe and frequently ends in disaster. Its also too cold down there.

I appreciate the quick feedback from everyone. I am definitely going to make the proper adjustments and habitat for the little guy to thrive.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have a 7 month old Sulcata that I have had since it was about 2 months old and is thriving and growing quickly. This is my first tortoise, or reptile for that matter, and I want to ensure I am doing everything I can to create as positive and thriving environment as I can. I know humidity is a HUGE factor in deterring pyramiding, and although my tortoise's shell has no signs of pyramiding I want to know how to increase humidity in his open air habitat. I soak the little dude for about 30 minutes a day every single day and let him roam around my apartment for a few hours a day to get some exercise and exploring done.

I spray the habitat with a water bottle, but it dries out quicker than I'd like. I've seen reptile humidifiers online, but am hesitant as to if this is necessary. I've also read that placing a water dish in the habitat close to the heat source can create humidity.

As a side note, I live in Southern California about 10 miles from the beach, which means the natural humidity of outside is about 60%+ daily. I literally have windows open every day all day, but I'm sure the humidity isn't the same inside my apartment as outside.

Any and all suggestions are happily welcomed! Thank you in advance!
View attachment 302155
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...110765&th=173b62f6d00ab52d&view=att&disp=safe
Close chambers after usually recommended here. However I'm going to go against the grain on this one. Your tortoises growth looks great to me so far. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

bsstovel

Tustin, CA
Close chambers after usually recommended here. However I'm going to go against the grain on this one. Your tortoises growth looks great to me so far. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Yeah, as I mentioned above he isn't showing any signs of pyramiding. I inspect him quite often daily after his soaks and I take weekly measurements of his length (inches) and weight (ounces) and he has had consistent steady growth thus far. I just want to make sure it continues and I don't want some sort of defects or issues to arise later in his life because i failed to do something when he was a little guy.