How can I help my tortoise calm down

Aidrob206

Location (City and/or State)
Williamsburg Va
I just moved I’ve always been close to a military base sometimes the base test artillery or other weapons that can be very loud. We could always hear the booms but never like this it was even louder, but I’m more worried about about how it made the house vibrate. I know that loud noises/vibrations can scare tortoise and can tell she is panicked because ever sense she has been running, in that tortoise kinda away, around her pen and trying to get out. How can I help calm her down I hate seeing her like this and don’t want her getting hurt though I doubt it’s that bad. P.s I need to restock on some stuff anyway so I may not have something’s at the moment and can get some new stuff.

Aidrob206

Williamsburg Va
I just moved I’ve always been close to a military base sometimes the base test artillery or other weapons that can be very loud. We could always hear the booms but never like this it was even louder, but I’m more worried about about how it made the house vibrate. I know that loud noises/vibrations can scare tortoise and can tell she is panicked because ever sense she has been running, in that tortoise kinda away, around her pen and trying to get out. How can I help calm her down I hate seeing her like this and don’t want her getting hurt though I doubt it’s that bad. P.s I need to restock on some stuff anyway so I may not have something’s at the moment and can get some new stuff.
I forgot add she currently has a broken beak and don’t want her to do any further damage to it so that’s my main worry.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Indoors or out? If its that bad that its shaking your house and scaring the bejesus out of your tortoise, then the tortoise needs to not be in that environment. There no way to fix it if giant explosions are happening on a regular basis.

Aidrob206

Williamsburg Va
Indoors or out? If its that bad that its shaking your house and scaring the bejesus out of your tortoise, then the tortoise needs to not be in that environment. There no way to fix it if giant explosions are happening on a regular basis.
At the moment inside as I just moved locations (which also may be part of it) and it is more like bad thunder as we are still miles away. The testings also don’t happen regularly to the point they posted a warning as they didn’t want a panic. I also gave a little bit of fruit and calcium which seemed to have done the trick.
P.s sorry I must have been a little dramatic or unclear in my post

MNGuy

Minneapolis, MN
OK, so I don't have a tortoise but I do have other pets. Depending on what type of enclosure you use, you can minimize the effects of sound and vibration by:

-Placing the enclosure on top of a layer of thick foam what will act as a shock absorber.
-Wrap parts of the enclosure in a thick layer of foam.
-Put up sound-buffering material on walls of the room the enclosure is located in.

Good luck.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Have you double checked all of your lighting & heating? How about size of your enclosure, is it large enough so your tort can get out and about & “exercise”.? It might be moving about more since it’s not quite settled in yet.

Torts “hear” sounds (and vibrations) much differently than humans. What base are you so close to In Williamsburg? Hard to believe that ppl arent complaining more.

Maybe play some ambient music in the background...it will buffer any sudden loud noises.

Good luck

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Since you do get some warning before the testing happens could you possible build a noice, shake reduction box ? Possibly build from wood- or use a cooler - put a blanket and some warm water bottle ? This could help with reducing the noise, vibration issues. - just an idea.