How can I coax my baby wild North Eastern painted turtle to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortTango

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Michigan
I've tried feeding him pellets, crickets, worms, small fish and dandelion greens, however he doesn't seem interested in anything!
Im starting to worry about the little guy, it's been about 5 days and nothing. What else should I try?! :huh:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Sometimes it takes awhile for babies to eat. Are you using the baby size pellets? or tried crumbled dried shrimp?

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Being that he's wild caught, he is not used to being in captivity and he may not want to eat right away but you should keep trying. If he doesn't eat in a week than I suggest you let him back in to the wild. Also I'm sure you already know this but turtles have to eat in water.

Here is a care sheet for them incase you are new to water turtles. :)

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-eastern_painted.htm

TortTango

5 Year Member
Northern Michigan
Yea, I don't want to have him die. I picked him up on a random road, all dried up. It's a shame so many cross there and the babies are hard to see/avoid. I crushed the baby reptomin pellets. Friday I'll pick up dried shrimp or krill see if he likes that if not I'll have to release him.

TortTango

5 Year Member
Northern Michigan
He actually just ate a couple pellets. It's pretty exciting for me. He also seems to be having a much better time in the tank! How many baby pellets should I give my quarter sized painted turtle? I know it says what he can eat in several minutes but he doesn't immediately go to the food.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I used to start off the EP hatchlings with blood worms. The come frozen in cubes and I would put them in warm water to defrost them. Another thing I did if they didn't eat was scoop out some water from the edge of the pond. There would always be some duck weed and small tiny mosquito lava or small bugs attached to the duck weed or plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.