How big should an indoor Russian tortoise pen be?

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA
My dad keeps saying the bookshelf will rot the plastic lining will tear and you can get plexiglass pens that are pre sealed. What should I do the book shelf is 6’ by 3’ by 12” and the plexiglass ones are 1’ by 2’. Please help I want the best for Betty. I am so stressed and they will come back from the store in 30 minutes and I’m probably am going to be grounded for trying to do the best for Betty.

Last edited:

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
My parents now are making it 3’ by 3’ instead of 6’ by 3’ because the rest should be a book shelf even though it was sitting for 3 years. The one in the back is for Betty but the other one will fall apart!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

KronksMom

Illinois
Betty would definitely be happier with the full 6' by 3'. Tortoises gut motility is tied to their ambulation. So, if they don't have room to walk around, they cannot digest their food. The recommended space for a russian tortoise is actually even bigger than that, at 4 feet by 8 feet, or bigger being ideal. Which, I know, seems crazy for something so small. But it really helps them to digest their food. Also, tortoises are very territorial animals. In the wild, they would have a very wide territory or range (I read somewhere that they cover miles every day, way more than the 18 square feet we're talking about). What we provide for them in our homes, we can only do our very best to mimic. But bear in mind, these guys can live for well over 50 years in captivity. That could be her home for another 50 years. It's always better to do something right the first time, rather than to build it now, then find that it is in fact too small and you need to build another, bigger enclosure a couple years from now.

KronksMom

Illinois
Try showing your parents that response, Braeden. And if it doesn't work, don't worry too much, Betty will still be much happier in a 3'x3' enclosure than the small aquarium she had before. You're working very hard for her. And like I said, you'll hopefully have her for a lot of years. You can always build her another even bigger enclosure a few years down the road when you have your own space and money to spend. But hopefully they do let you use the whole bookshelf, it really would make a difference to Betty.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Betty would definitely be happier with the full 6' by 3'. Tortoises gut motility is tied to their ambulation. So, if they don't have room to walk around, they cannot digest their food. The recommended space for a russian tortoise is actually even bigger than that, at 4 feet by 8 feet, or bigger being ideal. Which, I know, seems crazy for something so small. But it really helps them to digest their food. Also, tortoises are very territorial animals. In the wild, they would have a very wide territory or range (I read somewhere that they cover miles every day, way more than the 18 square feet we're talking about). What we provide for them in our homes, we can only do our very best to mimic. But bear in mind, these guys can live for well over 50 years in captivity. That could be her home for another 50 years. It's always better to do something right the first time, rather than to build it now, then find that it is in fact too small and you need to build another, bigger enclosure a couple years from now.
Thank for the advice but nothing is going to make my parents change there minds. They will say that is fine , she is small, she was fine in a smaller pen, and other stuff. I might need to give Betty to someone with a better place which is better for Betty.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Compromise. My Russian tort has an indoor pen that is 6ft by 2ft. He's got an outdoor pen that is larger, and he frequently gets to run around the whole front yard while we are tending to the garden. My house is a very tiny house (768sq ft) and I made the largest enclosure I could and still remain married. While the 4' by 8' is "ideal" I have a nanny cam on my tort all day. He walks his 2x6 all day just fine. He walks to his hide, then to his food dish, then basks, then walks along the sides, then down the middle, then back to the food dish, over and over. He's got a lot more room than he did when I first got him and had him in a small tote until I could afford to build him something bigger. And the tote was bigger than the 5 gallon aquarium they had him in at the petstore.

Do the best you can. Just because you can't talk your parents into building him the Louvre, doesn't mean you are a bad tortoise parent. Think of this as opportunity. Now, because of the smaller home, you need to take him out to walk around outside. This shows you have compassion for the animal, as well as it shows your parents that you have responsibility. That's huge. Taking responsibility for your pet is very mature, and your parents will notice it. Maybe in time you can make an arrangement for a larger enclosure.

KronksMom

Illinois
You're continually making improvements in Betty's life. You love her, and it shows. As long as she has enough heat and some UV, the right food and some water, and somewhere to hide, I think you are good for eachother.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
Compromise. My Russian tort has an indoor pen that is 6ft by 2ft. He's got an outdoor pen that is larger, and he frequently gets to run around the whole front yard while we are tending to the garden. My house is a very tiny house (768sq ft) and I made the largest enclosure I could and still remain married. While the 4' by 8' is "ideal" I have a nanny cam on my tort all day. He walks his 2x6 all day just fine. He walks to his hide, then to his food dish, then basks, then walks along the sides, then down the middle, then back to the food dish, over and over. He's got a lot more room than he did when I first got him and had him in a small tote until I could afford to build him something bigger. And the tote was bigger than the 5 gallon aquarium they had him in at the petstore.

Do the best you can. Just because you can't talk your parents into building him the Louvre, doesn't mean you are a bad tortoise parent. Think of this as opportunity. Now, because of the smaller home, you need to take him out to walk around outside. This shows you have compassion for the animal, as well as it shows your parents that you have responsibility. That's huge. Taking responsibility for your pet is very mature, and your parents will notice it. Maybe in time you can make an arrangement for a larger enclosure.
I take her on 45 mins to 90 minute walks when it is warm out she loves it.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I take her on 45 mins to 90 minute walks when it is warm out she loves it.

Perfect! Don't worry then. You are set. Love the tortoise and concentrate on what you have, not what you think you want. Don't let your parents get you down, and don't think bad of them just because they don't have the same priorities as you do. I've been there. My parents stressed me out tremendously, to the point I hated my father. HATED him. He died unexpectedly when I was 23. Decades later, after having my own kids (who ALSO have their own personalities), my perspective has totally changed. I'd definitely handle our last years together differently.

I'm not saying you have a bad relationship with your folks. I don't know you at all. I'm just suggesting you go easy on your parents. They are just doing the best they know how. You are their little tortoise and they don't have a forum with Toms and Yvonnes to walk them through it.

Cheers!