How best to hang my UV unit?

Lisa84

Location (City and/or State)
Halifax
Hi, i am currently using an MVB but i’m switching to separate units and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to hang it.
I have the arcadia pro T5 kit

Also the length of the unit is the length of the table (picture below) This is what was recommended to me. Should it cover the entire enclose?

987E25E3-50F1-48F5-9B04-4C04946C2DA2.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No it doesnt need to cover the whole enclosure.
However, how old and what species? Most if not all should be raised in a closed chamber until around 3 years old.

Lisa84

Halifax
Also if anyone could help, i picked the type of light based on the recommendations on the arcadia website and how high above the basking zone i felt it would go, so picked the 6% forest 54W. However further down the recommendation it states that if going through a mesh top (mine does) it can reduce the UV by 30%. Should i be getting the 12% Desert??

I know it’s impossible to know the correct levels without a solarmeter but at this moment in time it’s just not an option financially so if i was to getthe 12% Desert how high would you suggest i hang it based on the mesh top?

Lisa84

Halifax
With the 6% on top of the mesh top..
How far away from the tortoise is your fixture?
It may still be fine.
It would be between the 12-15 inches recommended. I think the 6% will still be ok and sit within the 3-4 recommended.
would you suggest i get the shorter one so it doesn’t cover the entire enclosure? I havehides and a deep log where Eric could go for shade if needed but i still feel like it’s too long.

Thank you for replying i really appreciate all the help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It would be between the 12-15 inches recommended. I think the 6% will still be ok and sit within the 3-4 recommended.
would you suggest i get the shorter one so it doesn’t cover the entire enclosure? I havehides and a deep log where Eric could go for shade if needed but i still feel like it’s too long.

Thank you for replying i really appreciate all the help
Having a light strip that goes fully across the enclosure will relieve stress on the screen lid. I see no reason to worry about full coverage because in the shade, or away from directly under the light, the UVB will taper off quickly.
Your 6% Arcadia is superior to my Reptisun 5.0 and might provide more UVB.
My Reptisun T5 5.0 through a screen and at 14" would give a reading just less than 3. But I think that that distance would be sufficient for your Arcadia T5 6%. Especially a brand new one.

Lisa84

Halifax
Thanks for the guidance :) i don’t suppose you have any idea on the best way to hand this above an open top enclosure do you?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the guidance :) i don’t suppose you have any idea on the best way to hand this above an open top enclosure do you?
You can suspend it with little hardware store chains under a shelf or from the ceiling.
You could make an inexpensive framework out of wood or pvc pipe that sits outside of the enclosure and attach it or suspend it from that.
There are many options.
I like the little, decorative chains because it allows you to easily raise and lower the fixture.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A Russian/Horsefield might require high humidity.
I simply don't know much about them. You still might have to incorporate some plexiglass panels over a portion of that enclosure (I just saw it)
How long is that?
I see why a full length UVB might be unnecessary