How are their senses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone knows how well a tort's senses are?
How well do they see? Smell? Feel? Hear?
I've noticed that whenever I takes pics of my tort with my phone she comes straight for it and tries to eat it!! The cover of my phone is red, can she see color? Just curious.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Melissa, from what I have read Torts do see color perhaps even more vivid and hues than we do and they are said to have incredible smell (tough I often wonder when I see what they eat. But then I think that of my dogs too :rolleyes:)
I haven't read much on their Hearing. I would tend to think it would be somewhat muffled or low pitched as they have that membrain over their ears. Kind of if you placed your hands over your ears.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
i do not know much about a torts sight but i can tell you from my experiences with torts that their sense of smell is very acute. as for hearing the membrane Crazy1 is talking about is called the Tympanic Membrane and it is actually part of the ear most reptiles have this other than snakes (i think). the hearing of torts i would say is not that good as Crazy1 already stated. but they can definatly hear well at close Range.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was thinking that about their hearing (the muffled sound). She seems to have great sight and I think she has a good sense of smell. Everytime I feed her she'll "sniff" around for the cactus first.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been giving Mazuri Tortoise Diet a try for the past couple months. When moistened, it smells! The leopard tortoises eat it really well. I usually haven't fed them in the past because they have a large yard with grass, etc. But I've been putting a bowl of it in their house in the morning when I turn on the light. They are shy tortoises and don't interact with me at all. But when I'm on my knees dishing up the Mazuri, they all come out from their pig blankets and start crowding around the bowl. Its the smell that brings them out, as they are under a shelf and can't see me.

Yvonne

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've been giving Mazuri Tortoise Diet a try for the past couple months. When moistened, it smells! The leopard tortoises eat it really well. I usually haven't fed them in the past because they have a large yard with grass, etc. But I've been putting a bowl of it in their house in the morning when I turn on the light. They are shy tortoises and don't interact with me at all. But when I'm on my knees dishing up the Mazuri, they all come out from their pig blankets and start crowding around the bowl. Its the smell that brings them out, as they are under a shelf and can't see me.

Yvonne

Are these the leapord you were/are selling? I ready want to get one but I am low on funds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Coldliz said:
Are these the leapord you were/are selling? I ready want to get one but I am low on funds.

No, they are the parents of the leopards I have for sale. The ones I'm selling are just babies...teeny tiny little things!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.