How are others handling FIRE Ants around outdoor enclosures?

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I keep getting nest in and around the enclosure. I am afraid I am going to go out there and find one of the torts swarmed with them.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'd say move the torts inside until you get it remedied! Try dried grits around the opening of the hill! I also have a GREAT fix that worked when I lived in FL. 1 cup sugar 2 cups boiling water and 2 TBSP of Borax...stir together until it cools. Put the mixture right on top of the mound in a peanut butter lid...it takes a few days...but it's permanent!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I spread DE over my entire yard, tortoise garden and any ant hill I find. Did it a year and a half ago and they never came back.

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
I spread DE over my entire yard, tortoise garden and any ant hill I find. Did it a year and a half ago and they never came back.

Im going to assume DE stands for diatomaceous earth?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Im going to assume DE stands for diatomaceous earth?
Yes. Works like a charm. I also use it indoors in my tortoise tables and box turtle tanks for fruit flys. I don't like to use anything with poison in or around my tortoise habitats.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I use vinegar. I take my torts out and pour it all in the cage especially where I have seen ants then after about 45 minutes I put them back. This remedy has never failed me.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I too use diatomaceous earth; but also always remove the torts from the enclosure until the ants are gone. Not worth the risk; I hate fire ants.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I rotate pens when I have to, to do battle. I also spray the perimeters of the pens. (Outside) and have started a regimen of D/E but due to the rainy season, haven't seen any results worth mentioning. I've never heard about that Borax fix before. Ill have to give it a try. I used a product called "Cease fire" more then four years ago, and I haven't seen a fire ant since. Seriously. I read that the fire ant population has declined in Florida. At any rate, I still have the "Big headed" ants, but they don't bite much if at all. However, I still keep them in check. They look very similar and I don't like to take chances. Remove them and rotate the pens.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Make sure the diatomaceous earth is FOOD GRADE and NOT the kind used for swimming pool filters.