How about an all Betta fish pond?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I haven't lost any cichlids(to the cold). But they sure aren't moving very fast!.
I was sorting out baby cichlids from the koi and I came across a fully grown bright pink Midas.
I have no idea how he's gone un seen or what he's been eating. But I imagine he's been eating baby cichlids because I once had what I estimated at over 300.
Now it looks like less than 50.
I placed him in the available pond for now to stop the carnage.
I'll feed him minnows and see if I can train him on pellets while I search for a new home for him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I may or may not have stolen your idea, again lol. I recently set this up. So far there's 6 Bettas in here, 3 males and 3 females, both dragon and koi Bettas.IMG_20200419_132534331.jpgIMG_20200419_132602073_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20200419_132410635_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20200419_132358921.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I may or may not have stolen your idea, again lol. I recently set this up. So far there's 6 Bettas in here, 3 males and 3 females, both dragon and koi Bettas.View attachment 291621View attachment 291622View attachment 291623View attachment 291624
Jeez...how do you set up something so nice so quickly??? I thought I was doing good with my little water turtle up from a 20 gallon into a 100 gallon aquarium...maybe I should send him to you...I'm sure he'd love that pond stocked with a ready food source...lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Jeez...how do you set up something so nice so quickly??? I thought I was doing good with my little water turtle up from a 20 gallon into a 100 gallon aquarium...maybe I should send him to you...I'm sure he'd love that pond stocked with a ready food source...lol
Get yourself an El Cheapo INTEK above ground pool!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, for some reason all the males are like $10.
I'm not too interested in $200 worth of Betas at this point.
Especially when I'm not convinced they'd make it through the winter or not.
Plan B is to use my fish traps to attempt to catch some baby Peacock bass in my secret spot in Hollywood

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
So there are more than one species of betta. At the store you usually just see one, just different colors and shapes. Compare it do dogs. We have many breeds of dogs, but there are also wolves, foxes, etc. The bettas we usually buy are actually quite unusual in behavior. In most, the females may fight to the death instead of males. But the most important thing to remember is they cannot tolerate cold water. You will need an adequate heating system during winter. As for plants, maybe get some cattails, large grasses, duckweed (it may take over though), small water lilies, and aquatic mosses like Christmas moss or java moss. Another Idea for the setup, source some free driftwood from a nearby stream to help them make territories. Buy some dried almond leaves, and let them sink to the bottom. This adds places to rest, and tannins to the water. You can get some small fish to go along with your betta, they are only aggressive to their own kind, and sometimes not even that. Definitely some snails to clean up the pond, no shrimp or crayfish. Shrimp will be eaten within a week and crayfish will go after fish fry or a sleeping adult.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've been slammed with bad eyes, bad back, bad kidneys, and just a bad attitude in general.
I've got those two 1,800 gallon ponds still up and running, but aside from tadpoles there's still nothing in either.
I do still intent to give it a try. But as soon as things settle down.
Hopefully this Spring.