Hovabator Genesis

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maui, Hawaii
Anyone ever use a Hovabator Genesis to incubate tort eggs? It holds the temps very well, my main concern is that the fan is always on and I'm wondering if the constant noise and vibration will have a negative effect on the developing egg.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The noise and vibration shouldn't hurt them, but be careful it doesn't dry them out. I used shoeboxes with the lid on in my incubator with a fan, and I had the fan blowing directly into a tub of water too. I don't know your particular incubator, but this was my experience with something that sounds similar.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The fan is a huge concern, especially in a hovabator, but not for the reasons your thinking of. Fans are suited very large incubators. In a small incubator it is no different than a jerky maker. Hovabators are made for Bird eggs, not Reptiles. Just keep that in mind.

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
Thank you both for your great responses. Looking at both it seems my biggest concern would be the fan drying the eggs. Ok, I'll definitely utilize the lid. Perhaps making several holes on the sides of the container to help with air exchange, but not so much that the eggs dry out.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Take the fan out. Don't use it. It is not needed for a small incubator...

spuds

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maui, Hawaii
EricIvins said:
Take the fan out. Don't use it. It is not needed for a small incubator...
Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree. I'm kind of scared to modify it since it's brand new. I tried disconnecting the fan plug, but then the heating element doesn't work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is enough air exchange in any plastic shoe box that you don't probably need vent holes with a fan running. You'll have to run it and see what the humidity does inside your boxes. Eric's suggestion is best. Ditch this incubator and get the cheaper model with no fan. Then you don't have to worry about it. The fan-less models hold the temps just fine too.