Housing Yearling and Baby Redfoot Question (multiple sizes)

crabby-J

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hey everyone, so I have a quick question, I have a baby 3-4 month old redfoot that I'm trying to find a good home for that was dumped with me while pet sitting him. I would really love to keep him but I already have 3 yearling redfoot babies and not sure I could handle a fourth.

I have the baby in his own enclosure and he is healthy, tested his poop and it was neg and wanted to put him in with my other 3 tortoises since it seems it will be a while til I find him a new home since I've had no interest or the "wrong" people wanted to adopt him (like they had huge adult redfoots and wanted to house the baby with them..etc)

My only real concern is my large water dish for the yearlings is pretty large not very deep but I'm afraid the baby could flip in it, The baby is not that much smaller then my smallest tortoise so the size difference is not really a huge deal. How does one accommodate different sized tortoises living together?

If I have to keep him separate I will but my 3 tortoises are in a huge enclosure and it just makes sense to have to maintain one until I find baby a new home.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey everyone, so I have a quick question, I have a baby 3-4 month old redfoot that I'm trying to find a good home for that was dumped with me while pet sitting him. I would really love to keep him but I already have 3 yearling redfoot babies and not sure I could handle a fourth.

I have the baby in his own enclosure and he is healthy, tested his poop and it was neg and wanted to put him in with my other 3 tortoises since it seems it will be a while til I find him a new home since I've had no interest or the "wrong" people wanted to adopt him (like they had huge adult redfoots and wanted to house the baby with them..etc)

My only real concern is my large water dish for the yearlings is pretty large not very deep but I'm afraid the baby could flip in it, The baby is not that much smaller then my smallest tortoise so the size difference is not really a huge deal. How does one accommodate different sized tortoises living together?

If I have to keep him separate I will but my 3 tortoises are in a huge enclosure and it just makes sense to have to maintain one until I find baby a new home.
Could your create a separate area within your huge enlcosure? What's the weight and size difference between your smallest yearling and the new 4month old.
If you do keep them together then it would make sense to accommodate for your smallest regarding safety.
I'm not sure you should keep them together or not. I suppose your 1st port of call would be to introduce them and see what the reaction is, if any.

crabby-J

Michigan
You know I let my oldest meet him for a minute and they were smelling each other face to face, and the baby was like air biting at my oldest..lol not sure what any of it means but baby is in his own enclosure for now, I think I might just keep them separate and hope I find the baby a new home soon

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You know I let my oldest meet him for a minute and they were smelling each other face to face, and the baby was like air biting at my oldest..lol not sure what any of it means but baby is in his own enclosure for now, I think I might just keep them separate and hope I find the baby a new home soon
Personally I would keep her seperate for now. But keep introducing them with supervision. You and I both know you are keeping her lol :D. A few months and the difference won't be as severe.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
different sized tortoises can universally hurt each other just because of their size. I'm wondering if you're looking for a home for the other one are you willing to ship? I would definitely be interested if you are.

crabby-J

Michigan
haha I really want to keep it, had it since before Thanksgiving and found out a few weeks ago the owner did not want it back..haha

crabby-J

Michigan
I guess you are right about waiting awhile, once he/she gets bigger it would not be such a big deal

crabby-J

Michigan
different sized tortoises can universally hurt each other just because of their size. I'm wondering if you're looking for a home for the other one are you willing to ship? I would definitely be interested if you are.

I would only adopt out to the right home locally if it comes to finding the right home (if I don't end up keeping it..haha) but thank you for the interest :)

crabby-J

Michigan
12299384_1656797311224927_2243301806681776602_n.jpg

Hard not to resist ..lol still no name yet...oh god if I name it I will want to keep it for sure...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just a word of caution...I've had horrible problems with introducing new tortoises to my established herd. I vet check them. I isolate them and then get a bunch of sick tortoises anyway.
Also, bigger tortoises are not careful or courteous to smaller tortoises. They will trample them. Sit on top of them. Push them over, etc.

crabby-J

Michigan
Just a word of caution...I've had horrible problems with introducing new tortoises to my established herd. I vet check them. I isolate them and then get a bunch of sick tortoises anyway.
Also, bigger tortoises are not careful or courteous to smaller tortoises. They will trample them. Sit on top of them. Push them over, etc.

My current tortoises are not very big, in a few months this baby would be nearly the same size but I understand what you are saving, my largest tort is about 5 inches long, the baby is about 3 inches. The baby was living with a 5 year old which was crazy but we found that one a good home so I saved the baby from that situation already! I do have it isolated in a different bin, I don't see any signs of sickness so far had baby over a month. Fecal tested neg as well. Thanks for the input :)

crabby-J

Michigan
My current tortoises are not very big, in a few months this baby would be nearly the same size but I understand what you are saving, my largest tort is about 5 inches long, the baby is about 3 inches. The baby was living with a 5 year old which was crazy but we found that one a good home so I saved the baby from that situation already! I do have it isolated in a different bin, I don't see any signs of sickness so far had baby over a month. Fecal tested neg as well. Thanks for the input :)

How many tortoises do you have? do you have redfoots?