Housing same genus different species?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
Follow this link for a more explicit not so troll answer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precautionary_principle
"Strong vs. weak:
Strong precaution holds that regulation is required whenever there is a possible risk to health, safety, or the environment, even if the supporting evidence is speculative and even if the economic costs of regulation are high.[12]:1295–96 In 1982, the United Nations World Charter for Nature gave the first international recognition to the strong version of the principle, suggesting that when "potential adverse effects are not fully understood, the activities should not proceed." The widely publicized Wingspread Declaration, from a meeting of environmentalists in 1998, is another example of the strong version.[13] 'Strong precaution' can also be termed as a "no-regrets" principle, where costs are not considered in preventative action."
Aren't tortoises (or any animal in our care) top priority? I think if something may result in illness/death you should never do it.

Turtlepete

South Florida
How can you prove that CB hatchlings are 2-3 generations apart from the WC parents? You can't. Tortoises can live & breed after +50 years, so chances are one of the breeding parents may be WC...

Simple knowledge of the animal's background which you purchased will tell you that. It's a standard, smart practice to ask when buying an animal. Several breeders are producing F2 animals.

But why does that matter? Weren't we talking about same-genus species? I said in my original post that I would only do it with animals that occurred in the same areas of the world, i.e red foots and yellow foots. If they occur in the same area of the world, then they have the same pathogens/parasites/"mystery bugs". Pretty much cuts out the entire pathogen/parasite argument, which seems to be the main argument, anyways. Trust me that I am not saying it's ok to house CB african and CB SA and CB Asian species together. Big no-no.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Simple knowledge of the animal's background which you purchased will tell you that. It's a standard, smart practice to ask when buying an animal. Several breeders are producing F2 animals.

But why does that matter? Weren't we talking about same-genus species? I said in my original post that I would only do it with animals that occurred in the same areas of the world, i.e red foots and yellow foots. If they occur in the same area of the world, then they have the same pathogens/parasites/"mystery bugs". Pretty much cuts out the entire pathogen/parasite argument, which seems to be the main argument, anyways. Trust me that I am not saying it's ok to house CB african and CB SA and CB Asian species together. Big no-no.
No, you were saying that it wasn't as likely for them to have parasites, so being the first generation they will probably have it as well. So them having WC parasites will make it more likely that for other tortoise (of different subspecies) to be infected. Asking isn't garnered, not all breeders will provide specific parents. The breeder may have a 2 to 3 ratio (males to females), and female tortoises may carry sperm for 2-3 years. The breeder may have mixed two tortoises up while moving them from the incubator to the cages. Not all breeders may give the parent's status (as WC or CB).