Housing dart frogs with mourning geckos?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I have recently fallen down the mourning gecko rabbit hole, and am super interested in owning a few. I’m usually against mixing species of reptiles, but mourning geckos just seem to be an exception to every rule out there. They seem to have identical (or almost identical) Care, and people have had a lot of success with housing them together. Additionally, people often use mourning geckos as feeders, so I doubt housing them with frogs could do much harm.

Thoughts?

TortoiseRacket

New York
I have recently fallen down the mourning gecko rabbit hole, and am super interested in owning a few. I’m usually against mixing species of reptiles, but mourning geckos just seem to be an exception to every rule out there. They seem to have identical (or almost identical) Care, and people have had a lot of success with housing them together. Additionally, people often use mourning geckos as feeders, so I doubt housing them with frogs could do much harm.

Thoughts?
Well, if there would be no canabalism, and they could easily get away from each other if desired, I don’t see why not! It’s like keeping anoles and house geckos together, or keeping corn snakes and black rat snakes together.

Just making sure; the frogs were CB, so they weren’t exposed to natural foods that make them toxic, right?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Well, if there would be no canabalism, and they could easily get away from each other if desired, I don’t see why not! It’s like keeping anoles and house geckos together, or keeping corn snakes and black rat snakes together.

Just making sure; the frogs were CB, so they weren’t exposed to natural foods that make them toxic, right?

Yep! And since they’re both communal, it wouldn’t be super stressful like housing two solitary species together.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The thing most people dont think about when mixing species, even those from the same area, is the fact they are trapped in a very small cage, especially compared to the wild. In the wild, they are not trapped to a very small space. That can make all the difference.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The thing most people dont think about when mixing species, even those from the same area, is the fact they are trapped in a very small cage, especially compared to the wild. In the wild, they are not trapped to a very small space. That can make all the difference.

That’s true, however with the correct species of dart frog, the frogs tend to stay at the bottom of he cage and the geckos stay at the top. Additionally, the frogs come out during the day and the geckos at night, and they can even help make sure whatever feeders you’re using all get eaten.

Since they’re too large for each other to eat, they can’t really physically harm each other, and wouldn’t really see each other as a threat.

If I do get mourning geckos, I’ll probably keep them for a while to make sure I know what I’m doing before I would consider adding them in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Morning geckos are an old world species. At least originally they were... Dart frogs are are all new world. Personally, I wouldn't mix them.

A little off topic: Parthanogenesis has always been one of my favorite words, and a fascinating biological anomaly too.

TortoiseRacket

New York
That’s true, however with the correct species of dart frog, the frogs tend to stay at the bottom of he cage and the geckos stay at the top. Additionally, the frogs come out during the day and the geckos at night, and they can even help make sure whatever feeders you’re using all get eaten.

Since they’re too large for each other to eat, they can’t really physically harm each other, and wouldn’t really see each other as a threat.

If I do get mourning geckos, I’ll probably keep them for a while to make sure I know what I’m doing before I would consider adding them in.
I’d go for a cage 16x16x36.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Morning geckos are an old world species. At least originally they were... Dart frogs are are all new world. Personally, I wouldn't mix them.

A little off topic: Parthanogenesis has always been one of my favorite words, and a fascinating biological anomaly too.
I’m not smart enough to know what that means, but it sounds like a very well represented side of the debate. Can you explain it to me?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The old world and new world part. Thanks!
The "Old World" Would be all of Africa, Asia, Europe and Australia. The "New World" would be all of the Americas. Mixing species from these two different regions can be a recipe for disaster. Mixing species from the same region can even be a disaster...

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The "Old World" Would be all of Africa, Asia, Europe and Australia. The "New World" would be all of the Americas. Mixing species from these two different regions can be a recipe for disaster. Mixing species from the same region can even be a disaster...

Very interesting! Guess I’ll just have to survive without dart frogs in the same enclosure... ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If it makes you feel better, you can always keep a mourning gecko with an anole that you can catch outside...
Anoles, along with other iguanids, are a New World species... Just sayin...

And mixing a captive bred gecko with a wild caught local non-endemic lizard would likely result in the death of all of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very interesting! Guess I’ll just have to survive without dart frogs in the same enclosure... ;)
Thank you for introducing me to the morning geckos. I've never looked into them all that much. I didn't know they were parthanogenic until I looked them up for your thread here to see where they were native to.

TortoiseRacket

New York
Anoles, along with other iguanids, are a New World species... Just sayin...

And mixing a captive bred gecko with a wild caught local non-endemic lizard would likely result in the death of all of them.
Oops, I stand corrected on where they come from again!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you for introducing me to the morning geckos. I've never looked into them all that much. I didn't know they were parthanogenic until I looked them up for your thread here to see where they were native to.

They’re so interesting! If I ever get any, I’ll totally ship you a few babies ;)