Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hello there, Kort20:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are? And what would you like us to call you?

In my opinion, it wouldn't be a good idea to put a Russian and a wood turtle in the same habitat. They each require very different types of habitat, the Russian being from the dry steppe in Afghanistan, and the wood turtle coming from a more humid, forest-like environment. It would be hard to provide those two types of habitat in one container.

Also, they each have their own pathogens that they have evolved with and get along with. When you mix species, you run the chance of having those different pathogens make the other specie sick or even dead.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Different dietary requirements.

kort20

5 Year Member
Thats what i thought but wanted to ask some more experienced peeps first. Thanks! We are currently in Oklahoma but military and move around like crazy:O/

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
emysemys said:
Hello there, Kort20:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are? And what would you like us to call you?

In my opinion, it wouldn't be a good idea to put a Russian and a wood turtle in the same habitat. They each require very different types of habitat, the Russian being from the dry steppe in Afghanistan, and the wood turtle coming from a more humid, forest-like environment. It would be hard to provide those two types of habitat in one container.

Also, they each have their own pathogens that they have evolved with and get along with. When you mix species, you run the chance of having those different pathogens make the other specie sick or even dead.

^^I completely agree with all of that. The wood turtle and steppe tortoise are not to be housed together.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Not a good idea to keep them in the same enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.