Housing a red foot in Minnesota

J H

5 Year Member
I would like to start by saying that I am new to torts and have not purchased a red foot quite yet but am planning on one soon. I live in Minnesota (temp and humidity are a factor) and don't quite understand the problem with using an aquarium for little ones. I have read a lot of threads saying cover and trap humidity. That being said why not a large glass tank (as long as sides are covered to block the torts view of outside the tank? Also we have a reptile fair this weekend should I look there or go to local shop "twin cities reptile" to purchase one? I just want what's best for the animal. We do have a large yard that I will build a secure in closure in once it's big enough and its warm enough outside this summer.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Glass tanks are fine, but I usually recommend a plastic bin if you're on a budget. Basically does the same thing but it's so much cheaper, and sometimes you can find ones that are quite large - larger than some tanks. I would personally build something large to start out so you don't have to keep upgrading as your tortoise grows.

J H

5 Year Member
I absolutely plan to build a large table so I only have to build it once but it may take a while to get it right and figure out temp / humidity since in Minnesota it's heat on in the house all winter and then a/c all summer. I was just under the impression glass tanks were a no no. What do people here think of reptile show?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I also think glass tanks are okay for hatchlings but I would go with the large plastic bin also, your tortoise will grow out of it as quickly. I've only been to one reptile show, practically no tortoises there. There are many many people here on the forum that have hatchling Redfoot tortoises for sale.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
The problem with glass tanks is that it creates a greenhouse affect that is not good for lower temp loving torts like reds they need temps around 70 to 85

The problem with glass tanks is that it creates a greenhouse affect that is not good for lower temp loving torts like reds they need temps around 70 to 85

I started mine in a glass aquarium and found the greenhouse effect to be helpful although I never let it get below 80F. They are out grown quickly because they typically don't offer a lot of floor space.

I think the cheapest/most effective start is 50 gallon Rubbermaid, graduating to 110 gallon horse trough. They are much cheaper, lighter and more durable than glass. I do miss the visibility though.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
I started mine in a glass aquarium and found the greenhouse effect to be helpful although I never let it get below 80F. They are out grown quickly because they typically don't offer a lot of floor space.

I think the cheapest/most effective start is 50 gallon Rubbermaid, graduating to 110 gallon horse trough. They are much cheaper, lighter and more durable than glass. I do miss the visibility though.
I love the rubbermaid method that is how I house my tort it is much easier to control the humidity and heat in their

By over 80 do you mean right around their or like 90 because 90-100 is much to hot for reds

I keep mine with a low of 80 on one end and a high of 90 on the other. Within this gradient, approximately 80% of the area is right at 85. Humidity varies from 80%-95%. He's still young (2 years) so more critical, I think.

J H

5 Year Member
Well I got a red foot!!! Came from a guy who had him (concave plasteron 7" long) in a vivarium with a yellow foot. Tank was about 1x 3. There were not getting along. Due to space I'm guessing. Right now in a 55 gal. I know not big enough. Will build a new habitat soon. Seems healthy. Wish me and "Bob" luck!!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you already purchased lighting, etc.
Please research before you waste any money on the wrong or harmful types.
Don't buy any compact florescent bulbs, the coiled type, for example.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Congrats!! Now the building begins! I can not stress enough the importance if using a closed chamber for reds. After several years of fighting for humidity in a traditional tortoise table I built a closed chamber and life was easy again! Lol. U can search closed chambers here and get some ideas. Make sure to build as big as u can because torts are addictive! U will want more :). And congrats again!!

J H

5 Year Member
The only thing I've noticed of concern is that he sits in his water bowl most of the time. The previous owner said " he loves his water and is in it most of the time". Humidity is currently at 70+ and temp is about 80 on the cool side.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would get a stool sample and send it off to the vet, just to make sure there is no parasite load. My tortoise has recently also started sitting in her water bowl but I've read it is fairly common for females to do so around egg laying time. What is the temperature on the warm side?

Great that your tortoise was separated from the Yellowfoot, the males can be really aggressive and that enclosure sounds way too small even for one tortoise.