House gecko pictures

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've mentioned before about geckos that live both outside and inside our homes here in South Florida.
Tonight I couldn't resist snapping a photo of 3 small ones just outside of my front door.
Does anyone else have house geckos?

Attachments

• 20160402_201727.jpg
    20160402_201727.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
No geckos in Oregon, we just have spiders around our porch lights. I welcome the jumping spiders and usually evict any of the creepy guys.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Where do you live? We dont have geckos in MD like that but when i lived in vietnam, they were everywhere! I hated it when they pooped everywhere. Lol
Each poop is an insect that they kept out if your house.......

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I believe that is not true in vietnam, but maybe its because I had lived in the mountains and there were bugs everywhere. and snakes :eek:
Uggghhhh!!! I grew up in Poland and had NEVER seen wild snake the 23 years I lived there. Did lots of hiking and camping, forests and mountains were my getaway places. I had a phobia of snakes. My first big move was from Poland (no snakes) to South East Florida (lots of snakes!) It took lot of effort for me to switch gears. First I had to become familiar with them and learn all I could, read and watch every tv program about them.i'm much better now but honestly I'll take house geckos over any snake any time

Pearly

5 Year Member
I've mentioned before about geckos that live both outside and inside our homes here in South Florida.
Tonight I couldn't resist snapping a photo of 3 small ones just outside of my front door.
Does anyone else have house geckos?
I see one occasionally around the house but not as many as I used to when living in Lighthouse Point or Boca

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Uggghhhh!!! I grew up in Poland and had NEVER seen wild snake the 23 years I lived there. Did lots of hiking and camping, forests and mountains were my getaway places. I had a phobia of snakes. My first big move was from Poland (no snakes) to South East Florida (lots of snakes!) It took lot of effort for me to switch gears. First I had to become familiar with them and learn all I could, read and watch every tv program about them.i'm much better now but honestly I'll take house geckos over any snake any time
I remember when I was living in Vietnam, we had ALOT of house geckos and I saw the tail or the gecko moving back and forth behind the table, but i didnt see his legs, and im like, hmm weird, but thought nothing of it. I sat there awhile longer and left. Then maybe 2 mins later, someone comes out yelling about a snake. Apparently that weird looking gecko was a snake eating it and I didnt even realize. :oops:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
There is a pretty large and beautiful Everglades rat snake living by the fish ponds. Maybe under one of the liners. I see him about 5,6 times a year.
I think he dines on rats that come near for the fruit trees.
It's a vivid bright gold color.

Pearly

5 Year Member
There is a pretty large and beautiful Everglades rat snake living by the fish ponds. Maybe under one of the liners. I see him about 5,6 times a year.
I think he dines on rats that come near for the fruit trees.
It's a vivid bright gold color.
I can certainly appreciate the beauty of nature in form of pretty snake, but best for me is when they are not on my gardening or walking path. I have made myself touch couple of them at education events for kids. I saw about 5footer ratsnake at plant nursery, he was slithering my way, and surprisingly I didn't scream and run. I could have sworn he looked right at me. Then one of the store girls came and grabbed him by the tail, took him away from the check out where there are lots of customers. For the first time in my life this unexpected snake encounter didn't give me creeps... Still, it made such an impression, where for most, it would be no big deal at all. Phobias are hard to get rid of ya'll!

Pearly

5 Year Member
O.K
Not really.
but I really DON'T like them.
I don't like them either, but they don't freak me out the way that spiders do. I don't know why, maybe it's the way they walk and definitely the way they catch their prey. Roaches are plain old NASTY! You know I had never seen a big roach like a palmetto size till I was 23 (moved to Lighthouse Point). And never seen live snake other than at the zoo until about that time. The biggest/scariest spider to me in Poland was daddy long legs. Brrrr!!!! They still give me creeps. And no lizards! There were couple of salamanders that rarely we'd see around mountain creeks. I really loved all those little lizards in Florida (Texas about this same) the chirping sounds they make especially at night, or is the even them? Chirping?

Last edited:

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
We have these little striped dudes that are super fast ! Some little sand colored lizards that we only see mostly at night . We have our rattle snakes of course , and I can usually count on at least 1 of these handsome guys turning up every season !

Tarantula.jpg

and these little fellers show up on a fairly regular basis ! :eek:

Lil Scorpion.jpg

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
We have these little striped dudes that are super fast ! Some little sand colored lizards that we only see mostly at night . We have our rattle snakes of course , and I can usually count on at least 1 of these handsome guys turning up every season !

View attachment 170088

and these little fellers show up on a fairly regular basis ! :eek:

View attachment 170089
*faints*

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Lots in Thailand. They really do keep the insect count down. I guess you get used to them - cockroaches, geckos (even tokay geckos) - just part of life in the tropics. Now in America, I don't like to see them because I don't think they're 'supposed' to be here.