Hours of sleep per day?

RockChalk

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City
My juvenile (3") Dalmatian Hermann's seems to like to sleep a lot. She made the overnight trip Monday-Tuesday, so I've had her for 2 days.

If I had to guess, I'd say she sleeps 22 hours/day.

I keep the UVB on for 12 hours/day. Should this go longer?

Basking rock is 98-99.
Warm side varies from 85-92 depending on distance from the UVB.
Cool side is 71.
Humidity is 60-70% ambient air with moist (like moist as a cake - not wet, not dry) coconut coir underneath the coconut husk mulch.
There is no night light or CHE overnight. There will be a CHE when it cools in the fall through spring.

She eats great when I dig her up, but she otherwise prefers to burrow under on the warm end and covers herself completely. I did see her crawling over everything in the habitat for a few minutes one day, but all other times she sleeps. Admittedly, I do work during the day, so I haven't monitored her 24/7.

So far she has pooped twice a day in her soaks. She has eaten everything in front of her - clover, dandelion, plantain, and hibiscus. She eats breakfast inside and dinner outside around 5 pm. But both times I have woken her up to do so.

Is this excessive sleeping a problem?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds pretty normal. What type of UV bulb are you using?

In the wild everything eats baby tortoises, so it is wise for them to hide as much as they can. Get some food and then find cover so you don't become food.

The Dalmatians are also known to be a little shyer than the Easterns. This could be a factor too.

Colorado
My guys sleeps a lot too, though not quite as much as this. He's a little bigger though and he likes to walk around on my heated blanket on the floor.

Texas
So glad I stumbled on this forum discussion! I can somewhat relax now about my tortoise for now a little mine sleeps a lot and is around 58-60 grams 4 months old 2 inches in length shell only. But when it's awake it moves around just fine specially in the sun out side and I do provide protected shelter from animals and a hide I have a few tortoise friendly enclosure out side a small then medium and 9foot by 3 foot enclosure I built can't wait to use that one. For my leopard:)

Rockwhi1972

Ca.
I got 2 cheery head torts and they do the same. From what iv read and others reports it's normal.