Hound Heater for Outdoor Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
While shopping for a larger outdoor shelter I came across this Hound Heater that installs in the upper corner of a doghouse/kennel or pet shelter. Has anyone ever used this? If so, please let me know your "review" of it. It is encased in galv.steel and uses either ceramic emitters or fusion bulbs. What do you think?

http://cozywinters.com/shop/houndheater.html

Thanks!

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
That looks interesting. I'm building a new shelter for my Leo's before Fall, and, have been looking for a heater. Hopfeully someone will reply who has used one. :)

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jas2Cats said:
That looks interesting. I'm building a new shelter for my Leo's before Fall, and, have been looking for a heater. Hopfeully someone will reply who has used one. :)

Hi Alyce: I agree. I'm thinking of using a dog igloo or dog house shelter which led me to find this. It seems safer than an exposed bulb and fixture. Anyway, I'm hoping someone with experience with heating can at least point out pros and cons.

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Sandy, Currently, I use a Dog Barn (plastic) dog house for mine with a heat lamp in it. I don't like the exposed lamp either. My new shelter will be very large, as it will be big enough for when they're full grown, and still provide extra space for them to move around (I'll have a UV lamp in there during the winter, because they don't like to come out then).

This has the house plans I bought (I got the 2 dog/1 door version)http://www.policedoghouses.com/dog/house/plans/customplans.cfm

And, if I like the tortoise one, my dogs may even get a new house too LOL

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jas2Cats said:
Hi Sandy, Currently, I use a Dog Barn (plastic) dog house for mine with a heat lamp in it. I don't like the exposed lamp either. My new shelter will be very large, as it will be big enough for when they're full grown, and still provide extra space for them to move around (I'll have a UV lamp in there during the winter, because they don't like to come out then).

This has the house plans I bought (I got the 2 dog/1 door version)http://www.policedoghouses.com/dog/house/plans/customplans.cfm

And, if I like the tortoise one, my dogs may even get a new house too LOL

I've seen those doghouses...very impressive. What material will you be making them out of? As for the heater, I really would like an opinion about this type of device so I do hope someone who has used different heating devices (even if they haven't used this one) will check out the item on the website and give me impressions about it. If not, I think I'm going to try it so I can let you know. We have mild winters, but still need some heat in the tortoise shelter.

Jas2Cats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Sandy, I'll probably use exterior siding on the outside with plywood interior. I'll have to get some lino' for the floor though, so its easy to clean.

Our winters here are mild (Nor Cal), but, with Leo's I still keep heat going at night even during the summer, so, I'm really interested in seeing how this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.