Houdini the Jerk II

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ideally we'd rather their shipping bag is clean when they get there but it literally only takes maybe 12-18 hours from drop off to arrival at FedEx terminal so not TOO big a deal. I think most of us put them right into a soak when they arrive anyway so won't be dirty too long.
Yes, they should always go right into a soak, before and after the shipping. The soaking is for the concern of hydration, not getting poopy. The not feeding is more about the pooping. Specially in those situations where the route takes a delay.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Glad he arrived and seems to be settling in . Keep us posted on his activities. Enclosure looks great and hopefully houdini escape proof... time will tell.
At my house his pen on 3 sides was a solid cedar 4 ft fence, the 4th wall was my freakin house...I covered the pen with lattice for shade...one day he somehow bumped that lattice making it fall into his pen, and he used the lattice as a ladder and escaped...this guy is VERY smart...don't sell him short...lol

Jan A

Boulder, CO
At my house his pen on 3 sides was a solid cedar 4 ft fence, the 4th wall was my freakin house...I covered the pen with lattice for shade...one day he somehow bumped that lattice making it fall into his pen, and he used the lattice as a ladder and escaped...this guy is VERY smart...don't sell him short...lol
I just came out & caught him sitting with his body almost halfway up against the wall. I'm happy to report the walls are slick enough right now he can't get traction to go straight up, but he's relentlessly looking & pacing for weaknesses..

Attachments

• 20210826_124702.jpg
    20210826_124702.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Anyone else just get a flashback to that scene in the OG JP where Muldoon was talking about the raptors testing the security fence for weaknesses...
He is relentless. He started headbutting the house to move it. I thought he was going to knock it over on its side & then climb up it & go over the wall.

For this afternoon, after adjusting the house a little, he found an access point in the long grass & is now sitting under the house. I had to lift up the house to doublecheck.

Is he saying, "see, you can trust me. I'll just sleep out here all night & I'll still be here in the morning, just where you left me?" "I'm hot" or "i'll lull her into complacency, then knock the house over & make my escape!"

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
He is relentless. He started headbutting the house to move it. I thought he was going to knock it over on its side & then climb up it & go over the wall.

For this afternoon, after adjusting the house a little, he found an access point in the long grass & is now sitting under the house. I had to lift up the house to doublecheck.

Is he saying, "see, you can trust me. I'll just sleep out here all night & I'll still be here in the morning, just where you left me?" "I'm hot" or "i'll lull her into complacency, then knock the house over & make my escape!"

I'm putting money on the last one

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Maybe he is like Mary and wants a tire..?
We got rid of all my father-in-law's tires in his yard before we moved, never anticipating we might need one for a tort. I don't think Ship Your Reptile ships their toys!!

• Haha
Reactions: Ink

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I just came out & caught him sitting with his body almost halfway up against the wall. I'm happy to report the walls are slick enough right now he can't get traction to go straight up, but he's relentlessly looking & pacing for weaknesses..
I'd put caps on the corners...

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
Yes, I"ve told Dan that 17 million times. He's not cooperating for some reason.
2020-10-23 14.54.49.jpg

Sorry to be blunt, but just cap the corners.

My guy isn't even into climbing, he just got curious when he saw that the piece broke off. (the wall is two fence boards high, so about 10", I just hadn't weed whacked in a looong time)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
One thing to keep in mind. Weeds and grass getting to thick and tall. They can get on them and reach high up.
I have a Russian that likes to get out. He's not as bad as Houdini, but finds a way out at least a couple times a summer. I think he's in cahoots with the rabbits. Seems a couple dig spots may have been done by them. Oh and 99% of the enclosure has fencing buried. He finds the few spots that's just not quite covered enough.