Hot hot is too hot outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
I put Oakley in her outdoor enclosure everyday now. It is 8' x 16' and has lots of plants and 3 different hides and two other areas for shade. I put her out when it is 70 in shade, but during the day it is getting up to mid to high 90s in shade and well over 100 in direct sun. I spray the entire area a couple of times to help out. She also has a large water dish. I have been bringing her back indoors about 1 or 2 pm because I am worried she might be too hot. Temp gun will read mid 80s or a little more on her shell. Can I leave her out longer or how hot is too hot for her to be out there. She is not a digger so does not go underground.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
The source of the shade should be at least a foot away from the enclosure to create a good cool area.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
hunterk997 said:
The source of the shade should be at least a foot away from the enclosure to create a good cool area.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

I'm sorry I must not of explained the situation. I built a 8foot by 16 foot habitat. That is the only area I have for Oakley outdoors. So there is no way I can put her outside of this enclosure.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Make a burrow. Dig down a bit/loosening up the soil, and sink cement blocks partway down on 3 sides (enough height clearance for her shell).
Then cover with a couple of pavers and even some dirt mounded around and over it. Stick a thermometer down there, and I bet you would find it is a lot cooler.
If you put her down there a couple of times, she will learn to go there if needed.

I use shade cloth over part of my enclosure (similar to yours with wire lid). You can also set up a beach umbrella (walmart, etc.) over part of it. And/or a piece of wood across one end.
Or any combination of the above.

They really will burrow down under a plant if they get too warm, so if she isn't, then she must be feeling OK with the plants and your watering it down.

However, it is also OK for you to stay on the safe side and bring her in during the hottest time of the day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When she get too hot, she will magically become a burrower. :)

They live outside in AZ and Nevada where temps climb to 120. With adequate shade and a burrow like Lynne suggested, your tortoise should be fine. The temps you describe are a cool spring or fall day for some southern state areas.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
lynnedit said:
Make a burrow. Dig down a bit/loosening up the soil, and sink cement blocks partway down on 3 sides (enough height clearance for her shell).
Then cover with a couple of pavers and even some dirt mounded around and over it. Stick a thermometer down there, and I bet you would find it is a lot cooler.
If you put her down there a couple of times, she will learn to go there if needed.

I use shade cloth over part of my enclosure (similar to yours with wire lid). You can also set up a beach umbrella (walmart, etc.) over part of it. And/or a piece of wood across one end.
Or any combination of the above.

They really will burrow down under a plant if they get too warm, so if she isn't, then she must be feeling OK with the plants and your watering it down.

However, it is also OK for you to stay on the safe side and bring her in during the hottest time of the day.

Thank you for the advice. I will redo his cement hide. And provide more shade.:rolleyes:

Tom said:
When she get too hot, she will magically become a burrower. :)

They live outside in AZ and Nevada where temps climb to 120. With adequate shade and a burrow like Lynne suggested, your tortoise should be fine. The temps you describe are a cool spring or fall day for some southern state areas.

Thanks Tom, I will change up a few things and stop worrying so much.

bpham93

5 Year Member
I live in texas and it gets to the three digits quite often, i keep my russians

outside 24/7. It looks like you got alot of shade for them, so there shouldn't

be any worries, they're made to withstand heat.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
bpham93 said:
I live in texas and it gets to the three digits quite often, i keep my russians

outside 24/7. It looks like you got alot of shade for them, so there shouldn't

be any worries, they're made to withstand heat.

The reason I got overly concerned is because of the recent forums about different owners finding their torts with bubbles coming out of noses and obvious overheated health problems. I wanted to make sure I was doing everything right.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A cement hide in the sun will heat up & hold the heat. That's great in winter, but not summer. Hosing off cement will cool it off & the evaporation will provide some humidity. Just something to be aware of.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
johnsonnboswell said:
A cement hide in the sun will heat up & hold the heat. That's great in winter, but not summer. Hosing off cement will cool it off & the evaporation will provide some humidity. Just something to be aware of.

Hmmm, that's concerning cause we just made ours out of cement. It's buried under ground but the lid is cement. We add a plywood roof and mist during the heat, but I wonder if it's enough.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Go for a garden hose shower instead of mist, & monitor it. Should be okay since it's covered.

Two of my pens have cinder block walls that I had to soak today to cool off, so it's on my mind. Of course the temps dropped 20 degrees & the rain started tonight, but it had to be soaked then.

Status
Not open for further replies.