Horsefields and sulcata

Lollylyne77

Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire uk
Hello everyone, I’m brand new here. I have 3 horsefields. My eldest is 7 and I have two that are 18 months old. All live separately but do have a wonder about in the garden together under supervision. My question is about Sulcatas! I would absolutely love one. Everything I read is conflicting. My aim is to turn my brick built shed into his/her house with heating and uvb lights ect. I would like to get this ready in time for summer when I would be looking to adopt. I would turn my dining room into there room in winter. Has anyone done this? I know it’s a lot of work as they need masses of space. I’d like to see photos if anyone has done this in the uk. Thanks everyone

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is just not enough space for a giant tropical reptile that needs to wander. You'd need a 50x50' indoor floor heated insulted building for one.

My adults have an 8000 square foot pen and use every inch of it all year long. If my enclosure was double what it is, they would use that space too.

Sulcatas are just not a good species for cold climates. So many people buy them here in our northern states, and almost all of those people come here to re-home them once they get a little size on them. Its just not practical.

Lollylyne77

Yorkshire uk
That is just not enough space for a giant tropical reptile that needs to wander. You'd need a 50x50' indoor floor heated insulted building for one.

My adults have an 8000 square foot pen and use every inch of it all year long. If my enclosure was double what it is, they would use that space too.

Sulcatas are just not a good species for cold climates. So many people buy them here in our northern states, and almost all of those people come here to re-home them once they get a little size on them. Its just not practical.
Thanks for the reply I’m presuming it was to me? Although I didn’t put the size of my garden or my shed? More of a garage or the size of my dining room. It’s massive. The shed is just for night Time during summer months. I have a huge enclosed garden for day time. What my question was if anyone had turned a room in there house as a bedtime room for winter? ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. I lived just north of Knareborough for 5 plus years and I’m now in the States with a 7 year old 100 (plus) pound Sulcata. Based on my experience(s) I would highly recommend you not look for a Sulcata. They really do enjoy very warm temperatures year-round & are monsters to house (indoors) during inclement weather. Can it be done? Sure, but it doesnt take long for them to grow into bull dozers. If you have space, and don’t care about heating expenses in Summer & Winter, hey, it’s possible. Good luck!

Lollylyne77

Yorkshire uk
Greetings. I lived just north of Knareborough for 5 plus years and I’m now in the States with a 7 year old 100 (plus) pound Sulcata. Based on my experience(s) I would highly recommend you not look for a Sulcata. They really do enjoy very warm temperatures year-round & are monsters to house (indoors) during inclement weather. Can it be done? Sure, but it doesnt take long for them to grow into bull dozers. If you have space, and don’t care about heating expenses in Summer & Winter, hey, it’s possible. Good luck!
Thank you for replying. I do have space and the heating and lighting is not a problem. I haven’t made up my mind yet as I’m in the uk. We have lots of breeders here but it obviously isn’t as warm here. At the moment I have 3 horsefields that are doing well. Thanks for taking the time with the advice