Horsefield Tortoise

Tinabean

Location (City and/or State)
Nantwich
Hi, would anyone be able to help. I have had my male Tortoise for over 8 years and although he has never hibernated properly, he does go through stages of staying in the cool part of his enclosure and not eating.
I am just concerned that this time he has done the same thing from about Jan this year and is still not eating and doesnt want to go under his heat lamp. In January he was 749g and he is now down to 700g.
I have given him baths daily, with no success.
Please can anyone give me some advise.
Thanks Tina and Stan the tortoise x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
This is the most up to date caresheet for Russians.

If you post pics of his enclosure and the lamps you are using etc we can see if there's anything affecting his behaviour and tell us what you feed him.

Tinabean

Nantwich
Give us the run down of all temps, night, basking, over all and the cooler spot, enclosure size, substrate, diet, etc.
Hi, Its an indoor wooden enclosure. It is 4ft long by 2.5 ft width. He has an Arcadia UVA Lamp and an Arcadia heat lamp with a 100w bulb, which is on a thermostat at 32c. The other end of the enclosure is his night time area.
I feed him on a diet of greens, dandelion leaves, dock leaves and he also has a small amount of kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts.
I feed him Komodo tortoise food, which is the salad mix.
Thanks Tina x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A few things that need to change for him to thrive and not just survive. The enclosure is way to small for an adult. A minimum of a 4x8 foot is need bigger if possible.
Also the basking needs to be higher. 95-100F for basking. Without proper basking temps they can not properly digest their food. All over day temp around 75-80F then night temps can be 60F.
These temps will be easier to accomplish with the appropriate size enclosure.
Keep lights on for about 12 hours and get the temps correct and work on adding more space and see how he does.
Keep soaking him too.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know if you've seen the Tortoise Table website but dock leaves are a definite Do Not Feed -

Some of the other foods aren't great either.

Check the caresheet I linked earlier for diet advice and use www.thetortoisetable.org.uk as a guide to tort safe foods.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What substrate are you using in the enclosure?
A picture of it will really help you get the best advice.