Horsefield tortoise with crack on nose

Alyssaacurtis

Location (City and/or State)
England
I have a horsefield tortoise that’s almost 2 years old. I’ve had him for just over 1 year now. I’m a first time tortoise owner but i’ve put lots of research in before purchasing him and during the time that i’ve had him however i’m still learning. I noticed a few days ago that he was starting to get a slight crack on his nose just above his nostrils. I’ve been checking up on it everyday and this morning I noticed that it has almost come off as if a small piece of his nose has shed. (The photo should explain it better)
He’s eating, pooing, urinating and acting like normal and properly so it doesn’t seem to be affecting him a lot however I’m slightly worried that there may be a problem beneath the surface and do not want infections or other problems to occur from it
I’ve tried to do some research on this however i can’t seem to find anything that relates close enough. I was wondering if there’s any advice that you could give me or to help find out the route of the problem. Or whether it is worth getting it looked at by a professional.
also the photo was taken on top of a clean surface as it was hard to get lighting that showed it properly
169645AA-0C24-4258-BDC3-4F7B01D55768.jpeg

Last edited:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Are you soaking him? If so, for how long? It's always tough to tell from pictures, but he looks dry

Alyssaacurtis

England
I’ve tried finding a photo of what it normally looks like
Are you soaking him? If so, for how long? It's always tough to tell from pictures, but he looks dry
he gets his water bowl refilled and freshened every day. Typically spends about 20 minutes in there every day. I used to soak him every other week until roughly a month and a half ago where i started soaking him once a week. This has gave me a little scare though and so i’m ensuring that i am soaking twice a week at the moment and will be keeping that up. He normally stays in for 15-20 minutes depending on whether he starts to get fidgety