Horsefield tortoise; stomatitis/rhinitis advice!

Huggy

Hello!

I've had my horsefield for 11 years now, he's (18), after a few years of trying, he simply won't hibernate, so we've come to accept this. He's had a glass vivarium for all this time, plenty of free time outside and in, never had any problems with him.

Our vet said to not give him too much heat this winter, not to worry if he doesn't eat much etc.

He's staying with my Mum at the moment, she noticed him not eating, and having a slightly runny nose so took him to the vets. Got told it was stomatitis, had his mouth cleaned, stayed in the vets over the weekend and tube fed.

We've bought him a different tank (wooden with a glass front) as suggested, kept him warm, baths twice a day, still no urine or faeces (roughly been 3 weeks now.) Yesterday he showed some interest in food, and has been his usual active self. Took him back to vets today, they've said he has rhinitis, and will be putting him on a 5 day course of baytril. Yes staying overnight, and will be having blood tests tomorrow because of the lack of passing urine.

Has anybody had these things before? I know this is ridiculously long, and I apologize! I'm an extremely worried tortoise Mum and just don't know what to to stop thinking the worst!

Sorry again for the length, (and thank you if you read all of this!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Has the mouth rot been cleared up?

Unless the vet took a smear and checked the nasal discharge they don't really know if it is actually rhinitis. When a tortoise is stressed he sometimes exhibits runny nose. This is not an infection and doesn't need medicating. What he needs in this case is to eliminate the stressor. In your tortoise's case it would be changing his safe territory to a new, scary territory. He has felt safe and secure for 11 years in a glass vivarium and now all of a sudden you've put him into a new territory. I'm not saying this is a bad thing. But it will take some time for him to come to feel comfortable in his new territory.

Double check that the temperature in the new tort table is what it is supposed to be, day and night, and just leave him alone. Let him be a tortoise. Let him get used to his new home. Feed him, water him, pick up after him, and leave him alone.

Huggy

Hi, thanks for replying.

It hasn't been completely cleared up, but he's staying in the vets for a few days and they've cleaned his mouth again. I had read that rhinitis is often caused by stress, but he developed that before we bought his new area. We've got a thermostat to monitor the temparature, and not disturbing him too much when hes at home.

The vet has said he's not as active today, but it looked like he'd tried to eatr on his own this morning ( like a mouthful), although they are still tube feeding him. The blood test should be back tomorrow afternoon, they wanted to test in case his reasons for not having a wee were something more serious (kidney/liver etc) I'm hoping that he's not passed any urine or faeces due to the fact that he's been off his food and not feeling too great, but I'm tearing my hair out with worry! It's out of my hands now, but thank you for your response. No doubt I'll be seeking reassurance wherever I can find it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please keep us informed. We all learn from others' experiences. Here's hoping you are able to bring your tortoise home, happy and healthy, soon.

Huggy

Please keep us informed. We all learn from others' experiences. Here's hoping you are able to bring your tortoise home, happy and healthy, soon.
Apparently today he's having difficulty breathing, so they're using a nebulizer on him now. Blood tests are back this afternoon but I don't know how serious this now is! Thank you.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Apparently today he's having difficulty breathing, so they're using a nebulizer on him now. Blood tests are back this afternoon but I don't know how serious this now is! Thank you.
Im sorry you are experiencing this! I hope things will turn around for you and your tortoise ! Keep us updated.