horsefield tortoise dead?

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I'm sorry about your baby. I can't stand when i lose my animal babies especially when it was to soon. It's always to much for me. @Tom is right in asking those questions, maybe we can figure out what went wrong?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I know sorry isn't going to make you fill better so I'm sending a big hug your way .

ilovereptiles

thank you all it really means alot I appreciate it.

I have another horsefield tortoises I've had him two year, they shared an 5ft by 2ft tortoise table and had one side with shavings (no light - with a house to go to sleep) the other side is mud type stuff I got from pets aT home. 100w basking lamp in the side with the mud. Her diet was carrots, sprouts, cabbage, kale, dried dandelion, cucumber and I would put her in the bath every 2 days. Since the weather has been rubbish I haven't put her outside to walk around the garden cause she would get too cold.

I've just been speaking to my parents and I said I don't want to bury her and never see her again, is there any way I can preserve the whole of her body and sheLL and keep her in a air tight glass case/box?

I've just been into my bedroom to give her a kiss and she's cold now,.but still her arm isn't stiff.

I don't not want to leave her alone on her self :(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
thank you all it really means alot I appreciate it.

I have another horsefield tortoises I've had him two year, they shared an 5ft by 2ft tortoise table and had one side with shavings (no light - with a house to go to sleep) the other side is mud type stuff I got from pets aT home. 100w basking lamp in the side with the mud. Her diet was carrots, sprouts, cabbage, kale, dried dandelion, cucumber and I would put her in the bath every 2 days. Since the weather has been rubbish I haven't put her outside to walk around the garden cause she would get too cold.

I've just been speaking to my parents and I said I don't want to bury her and never see her again, is there any way I can preserve the whole of her body and sheLL and keep her in a air tight glass case/box?

I've just been into my bedroom to give her a kiss and she's cold now,.but still her arm isn't stiff.

I don't not want to leave her alone on her self :(
I'm so sorry for your loss. as far as reserving her body you could see if there are any taxidermists in your area. Maybe other people have some ideas too.

ilovereptiles

Thank you. What are the signs of a passed tortoise? because something deep down is telling me she's still here, probably false hope. She's been "gone" 2 days nearly , she doesn't smell, she has no fluids come from any where, she has her head out.. Eyes and mouth closed. I'm probably just wish full thinking :( :(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Without actually being there I cannot tell you 100%, if she has not moved into days then i think that you do need to except the fact that she is gone. Believe me, I know how hard it is but you must let her go now. her spirit has left and she is now free. she will always be in your heart. now you can give her body a respect full rest.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
a taxiderm is the only way to preserve the whole body. You can do a couple cheaper procedures to save just the shell, but it's kinda gross and I don't know if you would want to do it.
If you really do think she may possibly still be alive, maybe take her to the vet one more time and see if they can confirm one way or the other this time. If she is gone, you do need to give her the respect she deserves and either get her preserved or get her buried, it's the right thing to do, no matter how hard it is and I know it's hard.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have heard that veterinarians in zoos often do an ultrasound to confirm that a tortoise has died. but from what you have said it really does sound like she is gone. As far as outward signs, Her body will be room temperature, and she will not be stiff. her eyes may be sunk in. I personally do not think I could save the shell either, you can bury her in a peaceful spot. You can have her cremated possibly. it is up to you but know that she had a good life and she was loved and that now she is at peace.

ilovereptiles

She's alot colder than what she was, shes now stiff, her eyes don't look sunken in. I guess I'm just trying not to accept that she's not here no more :(

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Her body will be room temperature, and she will not be stiff
Every tortoise, dead or alive, is room temperature (unless you put it under a heat bulb) and both can be either stiff or not.
But since she has shown no reaction for days, I don't think she is still alive.

ilovereptiles

Thank all of you, my mam and dad are going to help me bury her today. she's going under near the rose bush. Again thank you all so much.

( I have also booked in for a tattoo for my little girl)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand that is very hard to deal with. Best wishes to you! ! !

Randi

Canada
So sorry for your loss. I hope the memories you two made together can bring you some peace and comfort in this difficult time.

Alana

5 Year Member
I'm very sorry for your loss.. She is resting now and it is great that you're keeping her memory alive by getting some beautiful artwork done.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Sending all the condolences I can for the loss, I'm 21, I know how much a pet can mean to you at such an age, they become the kid you haven't yet had, they are pretty much your everything.

judging by how swollen her eyes were in the picture you posted she seemed very ill, i'm surprised the vet just gave you eye drops for the swelling and said she was healthy, because to me it seems like something that deserved investigating. Are you sure you trust your vets judgment? especially still having the one tortoise. That's strictly my opinion and concern though, feel free to ignore that if you so please.

ilovereptiles

The 1st vets I She just seemed to have changed over night.that's why she got took, she went every 6 month for a check up also. The woman who said she was in perfect health was experienced in reptiles. So I really don't know, I wish I did. I want it Investigating but I don't want no one hurting her, I don't want no one to touch her, I ended up burying her beside the rose bush. I felt it was the best thing to do, I sat outside for hours in the snow talking to her. I miss her alot, will herby (my other tortoise) know she has passed away? He looked at me today, then just walked into his house (it's strange to me) he keeps laying where she used to also. I said to my parents, I'm just glad if she was ill, she's no longer suffering and she's at peace now.

Thank you again and thank you for your ccomment