Horrible. Just horrible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
RE: This is really sad, 100,000 turtles sacrificed...

sad
I have 1 question and 1 statement

First the question, I thought hindus were vegetarian am I wrong?
now the statement and some may not like it
Wouldn't it be better for some enterprising people to set up some turtle farms to supply this ritual?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sorry to say this but I could almost do away with people like that and say its in the name of some religion as well. Makes me SICK SICK SICK!!! :(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's sad, but this is occurring in a different part of the world, in a different culture with different standards. I lived on a small island in Micronesia for a time. One of their rare delicacies is sea turtle, and I'll just say it's not a very short or pleasant end for the turtles...it made me sad and even upset, but I knew the people who were doing this to the turtles, and I would never say they were bad or wrong. Our view of modern society is not shared by those in other countries...things are different there. I don't think the people in the article are bad people, they just don't share our same values. I can't say I have respect for what they are doing, I can just accept it.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California

dmmj said:
sad
I have 1 question and 1 statement

First the question, I thought hindus were vegetarian am I wrong?
now the statement and some may not like it
Wouldn't it be better for some enterprising people to set up some turtle farms to supply this ritual?

Some hindus are vegetarian, the Brahmin and Kashmir Hindus are not. Some Shaivite Hindus also consume meat during certain times of the year. About the only animal sacred to Hindus that none of them will eat is the cow. Also keep in mind that there is a Muslim population and a Sikh population in India that are probably buying turtle/tortoise meat in those markets. Since based on the article, it appears that the whole 'Hindu' ritual is just a sham for the people to circumvent the laws in the name of religion.

This whole 'ritual' would probably be a lot more palatable (no pun intended) if they were employing methods a lot more humane to put the torts down, and if they also had some regard for the species that were endangered and excluding those.

Someone in the comments section of the article linked, stated that those Indians would be equally repulsed by Western cultures slaughtering and killing cow. The difference however is that cows are not endangered for one. The cows also aren't impaled and dismembered while conscious. The bolt stunners and cut to the jugular are quick and painless in putting down cows.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Omg, I will never take capsules again, I am going to have nightmares.
The story made me cringe and cry.:(:(:(

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

We use big machines and are super efficient = more civilized
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to[/video]

cemmons12 said:
Sorry to say this but I could almost do away with people like that and say its in the name of some religion as well. Makes me SICK SICK SICK!!! :(

Genocide FTW

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA

jaizei said:
We use big machines and are super efficient = more civilized
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to[/video]

cemmons12 said:

Genocide FTW

Thank you for sharing this!! Can I take the little male chicks home? I use to be a vegetarian-- I think I may go back. So sad. Not fair....Not civilized. Not at all. This organization is brave. I hope they actually help save these animals?? I couldn't stand there filming... Oprah tried to do this in a recent show and couldnt sleep at night after learning what was happening to farm animals. Things need to change.

B

byerssusan

What people do in the name of so called "Religion".. Karma is a *&^%.. What goes around comes around..

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Philippines
Whatever happened to man's superiority and responsibility for taking care of the lower beings?

In the beginning, OUR GOD created the earth and all the creatures on it to be under the authority of humanity. OUR GOD entrusted these beautiful elements of His creation to our care (Genesis 1:26).

What do THEIR GOD tell the them? Where do THEIR GOD stand?
I wonder.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
I couldnt do it.... i saw the very first pic.. saw what kind it was.... i just lost a baby one of those... :(

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Philippines
Whatever happened to man's superiority and responsibility for taking care of the lower beings?

In the beginning, OUR GOD created the earth and all the creatures on it to be under the authority of humanity. OUR GOD entrusted these beautiful elements of His creation to our care (Genesis 1:26).

What do THEIR GOD tell the them? Where do THEIR GOD stand?
I wonder.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm a Christian myself, but I find this to be a real unnecessary practice which is just sh*t. Why embody the past when religion takes on much better modern forms? Making a small sacrifice is not a problem, but it's the large scale slaughter of endangered species which pisses me off. Plus, it says that in the Hindu books there's nothing written about mass slaughter of turtles under the name of God. I find this "religion" to be a stupid reason for those pathetic excuses of humans to eat turtles. That being said, slaughtering this many turtles at once is outrageous and unacceptable, but now the killings are aimed at endangered species?! Batagur baska...my favourite turtle species being slaughtered when it's already in enough trouble. Is a good day for turtles really that far away? And now, the Asians are starting to run out turtles and turn to USA and rape OUR waterways. Something needs to be done about this tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.