Hornworm addiction

newboxiemama

Location (City and/or State)
Issaquah WA
People bought a LOT of pets and started a LOT of gardens last year. Can't figure out why... =DD

Just as many species of exotics are scarce, so too are their foods! Department store garden shops are ransacked as soon as they are restocked.

But I've known tiny turtles to go for the biggest worm on the plate, so it's probably an expense-vs-benefit type of situation. Bigger food items cost less to eat than a bunch of smaller ones.
Isn't that so funny? Spike does always go for the biggest worm in the dish and flings the smaller ones out of the dish behind him. It's like he needs to isolate his prey...one worm at a time ?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
" It's like he needs to isolate his prey...one worm at a time"

That is some Vincent Price stuff there my friend...."Step by step, inch by inch".....lol

or was that the 3 Stooges? They did a bit with him back in the day.

Jan A

Boulder, CO

That is some Vincent Price stuff there my friend...."Step by step, inch by inch".....lol

I think it was Frankie Laine on the Jackie Gleason show that did the step by step. That dates me. I guess!!

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA

Oh jeez I thought it was Abbot and Costello!!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I think it was Frankie Laine on the Jackie Gleason show that did the step by step. That dates me. I guess!!
Oh jeez I thought it was Abbot and Costello!!
Various sources says you & Jeff are both right & other comedians picked it up though not necesarily Frankie Laine. I'm going back to my dunce corner. DUH on me!

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Various sources says you & Jeff are both right & other comedians picked it up though not necesarily Frankie Laine. I'm going back to my dunce corner. DUH on me!
No no come back from the dunce corner! The ONLY reason I even caught the reference is because I had an Abbot and Costello movie marathon birthday party in 4th grade...I'm 29 ?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
29? Wow.....for how "manyith" time? My daughter frames her age that way too.....but now she has reached the tipping point of "29 for the 6th time" LOL---you know I'm only teasing.

No dunce caps/corners needed Jan.....seems to me that we fit the general demographic.....and yes, lots of Comics repeated the same bits. How many did "Who's on 3rd" after A&C did it? Guys are still doing it today!

That is pretty funny though, envisioning 'mama's guy going after his food with slow, deliberate steps. Vivid imagination helps.....

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Successes in life are self-measured. In other words, most folks agree that it's completely and totally a personal choice over what we deem as a success.

I am slowly alluding to my recent purchase of the hornworms, BoxyMama's warning, not unheeded.

Now I'm not a prude...I grew up in the 70's, and I'm an extrovert.....I mean things were there for the taking so we partook.....lol.....that said, I think everyone needs to know their limit...and if Matilda doesn't know hers, there will be an instant cold turkey in her future!

The reason I persisted is simple....I already bought them and they are growing, fast! The coin is a nickel and the cup is cloudy but they are over 3" long....I had to move them outside last week....their cup also stinks! Yuck!

Matilda 5-11-21.pngMatilda2 5-11-21.png

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I wonder if they had originally been fed on nightshade...which made them unpalatable until you feed them through it...

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Jeff! You just made my day! I am so happy that Matilda finally ate one - what a cutie! It's important for her to learn self-control anyway...this may turn out to be a good life lesson!

Hornworm cups become DISGUSTING quickly -- if you invert the cup (lid on bottom) all of their poop falls onto the lid and you can easily empty it out - it keeps things from getting gross too fast!