Hormone Implant for male TGG with a one-track mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The kennel wasn't cheap (£75 from Amazon), but has been well worth it.

We used carpet protector to line the floor (easy to wipe down) and lined it with with Aluminium Thermal Foil from B&Q. There's have a lamp stand in there with a paving slab to weigh it down. The slab heats up under the lamp which Joe loves.

Overall I guess we spent about £110 on it... we already had the lamp and stand.

If only it would stop raining... this is the worst British summer that I can ever remember!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
JoesMum said:
The kennel wasn't cheap (£75 from Amazon), but has been well worth it.

We used carpet protector to line the floor (easy to wipe down) and lined it with with Aluminium Thermal Foil from B&Q. There's have a lamp stand in there with a paving slab to weigh it down. The slab heats up under the lamp which Joe loves.

Overall I guess we spent about £110 on it... we already had the lamp and stand.

If only it would stop raining... this is the worst British summer that I can ever remember!

Send that rain to the US. Most of us are in need, big need of rain. With temps at 90+even into the 100's more then ever, and in places that normally don't get that high, and high humidities, we are desperate for rain. I'll blow some of our temps your way, you do the same with the rain:D. I wish it could be that easy.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We were in big need of rain only in March. My part of the UK hadn't had substantial rain for 18 months. The reservoirs and underground water supplies were empty and we were banned from using hose pipes.

Then we had the wettest April on record followed by a pretty wet May and then the wettest June on record and what looks like being the wettest July on record. Any more and we'll be needing an ark.

The good news is that we are finally allowed to use hose pipes again, even in the South East!

jacquiroell said:
Poor Joe - and you! :-}
Can you see the implant? you said he put it in through his leg? What the heck is it? Hopefully it works!!
You can't see the implant; it's tiny, and is slipped under the skin at the top of one of his hind legs.

It works by flooding his system, apparently, so initially he was worse. It took 3 weeks for any noticeable effect.

On days 22 and 23 we actually had proper sunshine and I was working in the garden. The lawnmower came in for its usual tortoise-abuse, he really does loathe it, as did the drain cover which is more of a sex toy for Joe. Joe got in my way, but my ankles stayed in tact.

I'm pleased to say that he hasn't lost his personality with the implant :)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Welcome back!! I'm glad to hear Joe is doing ok, I was thinking about him the other day. Thats a great looking "house" you have set up for him there.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have been wondering how Joe was doing! I like his hut.
So glad he is at least eating again, and not quite as restless.
Sounds like the implant may have helped.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
After a busy fortnight watching the Olympics (we saw many amazing events live), I can now report back on Joe's progress.

He's put on 500g (about 1¼ lb) since he had the implant done in June. He's now eating food that I put out that's roughly twice the volume of his shell. From studying his poo, there's a lot of grazing going on... plenty of grass in it! A horse would be proud of the volumes :D

His Testosterone level pre-implant was 59.5 and is now 0.3. A 'normal' breeding high for TGG is thought to be 35-45 with it dropping to around 5 out of season.

The constant, aimless pacing has stopped, but I'm pleased to say his behaviour is still Joe :)

He managed to capsize during a mountaineering expedition last week... the first time for a couple of years. He still attacks the lawn mower, but is more easily distracted by food. He's given up on the wheelie bin for butting, but the drain cover still gets it!

I was delighted to see him getting distracted by a dandelion flower on his way over to investigate what I was up to in the garden last week.

The kennel has made a huge difference. I make sure he's in it at my bed time (any earlier and he goes walk about) and he gets a couple of hours toasting under the lamp first thing in the morning as the kennel lamp is on a timer. He eats what I put out as soon as he's up and then the garden is his for the rest of the day with him using his favourite sun spots and his cold frame for basking.

I was late feeding him this morning and found him sat outside the kitchen glaring at the door!

I am sure we will be able to hibernate him this winter... which will be a relief to Joe as well, no doubt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad it has helped. He sounds hilarious. You must just have a good time watching him with all his antics:)

Status
Not open for further replies.