Hormone implant for male TGG with a one track mind - 2014

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello everyone. I am sorry I have not been around much. I thought I would bring you the latest update on Joe and his testosterone implant (Suprelorin).

The story last year is here

Winter 2013-14 went very smoothly. It was unusually mild and I did become a little panicky that it was too warm for a box-hibernated tortoise, but Joe sailed through without losing an ounce.

Day one out of hibernation brought us an instant ankle attack. Having had him for over 40 years, we are used to ankle attacks, but he normally waits until he has rehydrated and started eating normally - two to three weeks. Joe's hormones were on the rampage again!

It steadily got worse over the next three weeks with pacing and, more concerning, weight loss as he started to ignore food and water again. It was nowhere near as bad as it was back in 2012, but it was clearly getting worse and wasn't going to improve. I think we now know how long Suprelorin lasts in a 3kg (6.5lb) TGG - 2 years!

So Joe went to see his "friend" the vet again. With a grin on his face, the vet said "Joe's a swine. Right, let's get him done!" So Joe had a blood test done and another implant.

A few weeks later and we are back to normal Joe. You still have to watch your ankles, and the lawnmower is still a deadly foe, but his weight has gone back up and he is eating and drinking properly.

For those interested in the numbers:
Spring 2012 before implant - Testosterone 59.5
June 2012 after implant - Testosterone 0.3 (normal is around 5 apparently)
Spring 2014 before new implant - Testosterone 16.35

I have just realised that I am guilty of not supplying an up-to-date photo. This will be rectified in the couple of days :)

PS Can a mod change the title to read 2014 please?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Wow! I was just thinking about you guys..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Me too! I was wondering how Joe was doing. Apparently he is a testosterone making machine, right out of hibernation!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Honestly, if it was possible to neuter a tortoise easily, Joe would be without certain parts of his anatomy by now!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He has a Suprelorin implant - a hormone implant. My vet tells me that it floods his system with testosterone and the animal then stops producing testosterone himself. Behaviour gets worse for a couple of weeks before settling down. In zoos Suprelorin is used where they want to keep groups of male animals together, but not neuter them.

For Joe it is definitely a medical reason. His excessive testosterone means that he doesn't eat or drink as he focusses entirely on obsessive pacing and butting anything and everything constantly. The result is severe weight loss and repeated liver infections. At his worst he was 2.5lbs under his normal 6.5lb weight and on repeated courses of antibiotics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're so lucky to have an educated tort vet you can go to.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am very lucky indeed Yvonne. He keeps tortoises himself. His partner is an international expert in elephant calving. Seems a bit strange for a practice in the middle of Kent, but they are great on exotics :)