Horace The Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
So I have finished my herd.

I recently heard of a new petshop opening in southern Alberta, and expressed an interest in their red foots. I was contacted by the owner, or rep for the owner about pricing and availability. I told him I was after an adult male. He told me he did have one, but that it was a rescue from a neglectful home.
I jumped on it.
3 hour road trip later, I was at a pet store in a different city. I'm guessing the original pet store that started the chain.
Boy does Horace have issues. A beak so overgrown it was covering his nose. Looked like a really hella thick toenail. He has a deformed jaw as a result. Pyramiding, but not as bad as Penelope's. I trimmed about 1/4" off of the beak to allow him the ability to eat. How long since his last easy to eat meal? Who knows. It still needs alot of trimming, as it's still well above any standard of normal. But I have bricks, rocks, and other various rough surfaces, and in the short time he's been here, I have seen him start grinding all by himself. His back nails are overgrown as well, to the point of curling. But he seems to have no trouble moving around, so I will save trimming those for another day. Don't wanna overload the little scamp, he needs to settle.
He is active and quite docile. He was very calm during the trimming process, which made it easier than I expected, but then again the only other beaks I've ground have been birds, and holy flying spaghetti monster, they don't make it easy on you.
He loves this new concept of a basking pool. He's a dried withered crisp this poor thing. He was loving the showers, and has spent most of his time wandering around, or soaking in the cake pan that is his pool.

He's roughly 9" scl, No clue on weight yet, bathroom scale is not so accurate, and I'm far too cheap to justify a nice kitchen scale, even though I could really use one for my cooking habit.

All in all, I think he will make a wonderful addition to the misfits I have acquired. Now comes my next goal of building an awesomesauce vivarium for when the little scamps become huge trompers. I'm a couple days away from a new 15sq/ft vivarium. I just need some more plastic... and a buttload of soil. But it should be a good experiment, before I can build the 'big one'.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a lucky tortoise! I hope the pet store gave you a discount on him. But I'm confused. You said he was 9" scl, and then you refer to him as a little scamp and something about ...for when the little scamps become huge. Just how much bigger is he supposed to get?

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Well, he's smaller than me, thus little. But I do hope he develops to a full blown tortoise monster, or even just 12-14". Plus I have 3 youngin's that range from 3.5" to 5". So I have a few "little scamps" up and coming as well. As they grow to adult size, I'm going to need quite the indoor setup as we have long stupid winters in Alberta.

I would love if all my torts got to be heavier than my cat, but he's a pretty big effin' cat.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
My dad's name is Horace :p But glad to hear he's in a better home =]

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
got photo? yes how does one do a "beak" this is new to me. grinder? or?

yes how did you do the beak. grinder? have a photo?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I love your slang! It's obvious there are small children around you (or within you perhaps?). "Awesomesauce" and "holy flying spaghetti monster" sound like terms we used when our children were still "little scamps" many moons ago!:D

I used to say "buttload" till a friend raised an eyebrow (in front of the kids) and corrected me: "Uh, Steph, I think you mean 'boatload' ?" And when I thought about it a bit, I decided she was right!;)

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
I use a simple $9 dremel tool with a fine grit sanding drum, at low to medium speed. My mother has a "grinding/trimming Kit" She uses for her pet care business, which I will be borrowing to do the finer grinding. There's no concern of the quick being ground for at least another 1/4". Shining a light through you can clearly see where the blood flow starts in the beak.
Bare in mind, one should never have to trim a beak if you have an assortment of rough things strewn about the terrarium, and also feeding on a rough surface like brick or rock with help natural maintenance.

Just to keep the over opinionated from finger pointing, I do not endorse trimming or grinding anything at home without prior experience. Seek a vet. Any avian, herp, or even large breed dog vets will have the appropriate tools and know how to do it right, and answer any questions you have while learning to do it yourself.

"Don't try this at home kids."

I need a "the more you know" star behind me or something.

Thanks for all the comments too peoples. I am very pleased with Horace. Gimpy pets are oh so much fun. The good news is, today he ate, and seemed quite astonished as to how much easier it was to get the food in. He seemed reluctant at first, but quickly picked up speed. I think in a few months time, he'll be a brand new tortoise.

Sadly, no pics yet, as always, lack of ambition to mess around with uploading crap. But they will come soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.