Hoping She Is Here To Stay

NotATurtleAnkh

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hello everyone!
Just to introduce myself... My name is Tara, I have been keeping reptiles for just over a year. I started my addiction.. er... passion out with a Stinger Bee ball python I named Penelope, pronounced "peen-ah-lope" which started as a joke between my room mate and I that just kind of stuck :p I got Penelope in June of 2015 and by Chrsitmas Eve had added a Crested Gecko and a Spotted Python. April of 2015 I was given two normal ball python from two different owners that could no longer care for them. My newest ball python, a male queen bee, came home July 2016. As well as all my scale "babies" I also share my home with three rescue dogs.
And now for the reason I'm here :D that's provided you made it through the novella of pets I have :p
Last Friday I was contacted by the Humane Society to take in a turtle that had been found in the middle of a street by a home owner. Neither our Humane Society or the pound here deal with reptiles and they had nowhere for this turtle to go, so they called me. My room mate and I head over across town to collect this poor lost turtle only to find out what they found was not a turtle but a little Sulcata tortoise! He had her for about a week while he tried to locate an owner. His intentions were good but because he thought she was a turtle he had her in a bathtub with water in it. Not 100% sure what she ate during that time but I know she was pretty hungry when she got home! Granted she seems to spend 90% of her life eating (my spirit animal!) and seemed to settle in very quick once she was out of the tub and being fed.
I have not yet weighed or measured her yet. She has pooped regularly and is active during the day and out like a light all night. I've never met such an endearing little beast!
The Humane Society is sending someone to have a look at her on Thursday, I've never picked up and housed an animal for the Humane Society so I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I'm hoping its to officially surrender her to my care as her original owner has still not been located and she has been found for almost 2 weeks now with multiple found posts on a few different sites/social media. I'm REALLY hoping she gets to stay, my roomie and I have both gotten pretty attached to her in the last few days and it would break my heart to have to give her up. If her owners are located I will be happy to return her to them, but if not then I would very much like to keep her. We've called her "Ankh" because she does have some fairly substantial pyramiding.
So now I'll see if I can get some pictures working.... Wish me luck on being able to keep her and enjoy the tortoise eye candy!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Tara!

NotATurtleAnkh

Alberta, Canada

itiswhatitis

Hello, Tara, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Ankh.
He may be a little bumpy, but he's still a very pretty tortoise.

Kinda Odd he's bumpy to right !!!
He was lost outside you would assume he was kept outside a lot lol !!!

Could have been purchased that way as well I guess by unknown owner.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll bet your new tortoise is a male. It's too small to know yet. Most young tortoises look female until they start going through sexual maturity.

Please keep us informed. I've got my fingers crossed that you get to keep the tortoise.

Lu_x85

I'm new too! Well done for taking on this little one and giving him/her the correct 'tortoise' care. Fingers crossed you get to keep this little beauty!

NotATurtleAnkh

Alberta, Canada
I'll bet your new tortoise is a male. It's too small to know yet. Most young tortoises look female until they start going through sexual maturity.

Please keep us informed. I've got my fingers crossed that you get to keep the tortoise.

I've heard mixed things on sexing torts, I'm aware she might actually be male but we are just calling it female for now and made sure we picked a pretty neutral name just in case! I will definitely keep everyone updated on whether or not it gets to stay though!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't think it was an outside tort. Honestly I think someone just got sick of caring for it and when their kid went to summer camp they abandoned it. I have scoured and searched for the owner and haven't been able to locate anyone missing a Sulcata.
No, no, I was just reporting my experience, such as it is.
I also think yours is probably an escapee.