Hooking up a generator TRANSFER SWITCH

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm looking at a Generac 12K generator for my house. In case of hurricane.Etc.
I like this certain generator because it has a tried and true engine and runs on natural gas. I have a natural gas stove and water heater already. And hurricanes don't generally stop that supply. Just electricity. And this thing would run my whole house!
It comes with a transfer switch. Maybe a good one. Maybe not. The issue is I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN. I want it professionally installed with required permits. Etc.
I want a manual switch. The power goes out. I go turn off the main feed. Switch over to the generator and fire up the generator.
Got it?
I contacted Home Advisor and contacted three businesses that they listed. One called me back and without looking at my setup, quoted me $10,000. (With permits and a slab)
Is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
Seriously, I was thinking $1,000 to $1,600.
Do we have any electrical contractors here?
Thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmm, so what you are saying is that Generac doesn’t do the complete install and pass it turnkey to the customer? I would have thought thats part of their package deal. They do have lots of info on their website. Good luck.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
One called me back and without looking at my setup, quoted me $10,000. (With permits and a slab)
Is this as ridiculous as it sounds?
Seriously, I was thinking $1,000 to $1,600.
Do we have any electrical contractors here?
Thanks
Well I’m no electric cowboy or contractor, but this sight unseen quote seems excessive to me. No running of long spans of nickel diameters of copper here right? Just isolation shed and hook up? Shop around and check those inter net machine feedback groups.
Like Judge Judy says, “if it smells like a skunk it’s probably a skunk.”
Christmas is coming up, maybe he needs to spend extra money this year. LOL

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well I’m no electric cowboy or contractor, but this sight unseen quote seems excessive to me. No running of long spans of nickel diameters of copper here right? Just isolation shed and hook up? Shop around and check those inter net machine feedback groups.
Like Judge Judy says, “if it smells like a skunk it’s probably a skunk.”
Christmas is coming up, maybe he needs to spend extra money this year. LOL
The generator will be about six feet away from where the electrical panel is on the other side of my garage wall.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hmm, so what you are saying is that Generac doesn’t do the complete install and pass it turnkey to the customer? I would have thought thats part of their package deal. They do have lots of info on their website. Good luck.
Home Depot sells them...And then DOES NOT offer installation or deal with a contractor that does. Sounds like bad business.
I haven't checked with Lowes yet.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well if you are buying the generator and transfer switch . It should be around 3500 to 4000 to have a electrician install it . But if you're letting the contractor buy and install everything 10000 really isn't a bad deal . It also depends on the area you live inflation and what not. Different municipalities charge different prices for permitting. But if you do decide to get one make sure you put an engine exerciser timer on it . That way the engine will start and run a few minutes a week . Also make you a preventive maintenance plan . Oil changes ,filter changes ,and spark plugs changes. So in the event you do need to run off backup power you know the generator will start and run .

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I bought a whole house generator system through a local electrician , and had him install it ... it was around $10k.

I also have a smaller generator I use for a trailer when I go glamping ... that one was about $450.

Either could power my tortoise and other exotic pets enclosures, so it depends on what else you want it to be able to do.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My current generator (on wheels) is a 6k BALDOR powered by a gasoline Honda engine.
It works great and I service and de service it myself every year. But I have to do things like unplug the refrigerator before plugging in the clothes washing machine. Etc. And there all of the extension cords everywhere that are not exactly ideal. We also have a portable AC that I use just for cooling off a room or two at night so we can sleep.
Then there's the noise and having to refuel the thing...Often in the dark..Every 7 hours. And storing all of that gasoline that must be purchased every year. Right now I have 11, 5 gallon fuel cans full of stabilized gasoline in a shed in the back yard. A shed that will blow away in a hurricane. Gas and all.
As for the new generator. It's about $4-$5,000.
The $10,000 quote was just for permits and installing.
A permanent solution for this permanent situation seems like money well spent.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a cousin that sells and installs whole house generators. Your quoted price should cover the generator, installion and permits. I'd keep looking. I also would not use Home Advisor. I tried them a couple times. The first time only one guy called. Made appointment for him to come and quote a whole indoor house paint job. After him rescheduling several times, he then had to cancel the final appointment. Told him don't bother. Another time, again 3 businesses given and only one called. Quote was for replacing siding on just a small portion of the house. Quote was three times what it should have been and even said he was quoting high. The last time I tried, called for replacement windows. I'm still waiting to hear from someone and this was back in July. Three times, they are out.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a cousin that sells and installs whole house generators. Your quoted price should cover the generator, installion and permits. I'd keep looking. I also would not use Home Advisor. I tried them a couple times. The first time only one guy called. Made appointment for him to come and quote a whole indoor house paint job. After him rescheduling several times, he then had to cancel the final appointment. Told him don't bother. Another time, again 3 businesses given and only one called. Quote was for replacing siding on just a small portion of the house. Quote was three times what it should have been and even said he was quoting high. The last time I tried, called for replacement windows. I'm still waiting to hear from someone and this was back in July. Three times, they are out.
Maybe the post should've included Home Advisor sucks.
They seem to.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I know nothing about wiring a whole house generator but if you just wanted to make the one you have now more user friendly. For some generators there are propain conversions avalible. Keeping a stock of propain would be safer and more reliable in my book.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You're in Florida right ? So it may not be . But here in the Houston area it is way over quoted.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There's the money right there Broward county just sounds expensive . LOL I was out working in the Orlando area and electrical parts were expensive . It was after one of the many hurricanes. In Houston I can buy a hydro ranger for about 1200 . Out there it was 2100 bucks. Crazy high getting a water plant back up and running priceless.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The quote is on the high side but it's not ridiculous. If there was only 1 response, theres a good chance that the contractors in your area are busy.

wccmog10

Georgia
I’m not sure where this quote falls as far as being over priced. But I have heard that Home advisor is not the best for contractors. I would recommend asking around to friends/family for a few reputable electricians, then contacting them directly. You may have better luck getting responses if you elimate the middle man. When you find someone you like, you can ask for references to make sure they are a quality company.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’m not sure where this quote falls as far as being over priced. But I have heard that Home advisor is not the best for contractors. I would recommend asking around to friends/family for a few reputable electricians, then contacting them directly. You may have better luck getting responses if you elimate the middle man. When you find someone you like, you can ask for references to make sure they are a quality company.
I'm going to see if any of the electricians over at my old School board job do sidework.