hoof repair for plastron scrape?

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Willow, my 1 yr old Sulcata has become so hyper she managed to scrape her Plastron hinges on her log ( which is now removed). I put green duct tape on as a TEMP BANDAGE since I wanted to protect her from further damage untill her vet could be reached( this happened last weekend). When I did call her vet he said I can put something called HOOF REPAIR on the scrape and let it heal on it's own since it's a mild one. it probably bothered and scared ME more then it did willow. She wasn't too enthused about having the area disinfected,dried and bandaged though and nipped my thumb nail, indenting it. The scrape did bleed slightly when disinfected but only a tiny bit. I have increased her calcium intake to help the plastron heal. it looks like she just scraped off the first layer ( like a knee scrape). Anyone else ever hear of using Hoof repair for this or do I need to find a different vet? he's never steered me wrong before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is ok. Don't worry about it. It's just like you, yourself, said - a minor injury like a scraped knee. The horse hoof medication is ok to use on a tortoise's shell.