Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
:<3: Honey’s Journey :<3:

Enclosure:

The enclosure is currently a terrarium turned into a closed chamber. It is about 4 by 2 feet. There is a humid hide in the “cool” part of the chamber. On the “warm” side, there’s a soaking dish and a basking stone. In this part of the chamber, there is also an aloe plant that provides a bit of shade, humidity, and possible food if the tort is a lil famished.

Heating:

I’m using an MVB bulb, since I found it to be an adequate heat and UVB source. For nighttime, I use an infrared lightbulb. All local retailers here don’t have the right wattage for CHE (always too high of a wattage) and I’ve had issues with the the safety of the pet-related thermostats sold here.... but regardless of this, these are my temps:

I don't think she could have a more perfect name!

Cool side: 25-28 C (77-82.4 F)

Warm side: 30-34.7C (86-94.5 F)

Basking: Around 36 C (97 F)

Humidity:

Almost Always in the 87-92 % range, sometimes it may drop to mid and lower 80s, but that is rare. May have only happened when I first set up the tank, since it’s never that low anymore.

Food:

My diet plan currently consists of the following. Please note that a lot of these foods are new to the tort, so I am trying to make him/her eat them via chopping and mixing them into his favorite foods:

• Mulberry leaves... Freshly grown in our garden. We have 3 or 4 trees.
  • Romaine lettuce (not nutritional but it’s a fave)
  • Opuntia Cactus Pads (waiting for my cactus to grow more so I can feed my tort more)
  • Dandelion (used in Lebanese cooking so it’s easy to find store bought)
  • Turnip greens
  • Carrot tops
  • Grasses (I bought about 1.3 lbs of different tortsafe grasses that I will feed him/her)
  • Argula
  • Bok Choy
  • Collard greens

Water:

I soak my tortoise for about 30-45 minutes a day, twice a day. I mist the tank three times a day for a few minutes, and pour some water on the 4 inches of cococoir & organic soil substrate whenever it’s dry.

Supplements:

I use a tiny bit of a calcium / D3 reptile supplement for my tort, mix it into the food. I do this about once a week. Sometimes twice a week.

Any advice, suggestions, tips, compliments even.... all are welcome < 3

Here’s a few of pic of my tort, named honeysuckle & nicknamed honey ;-)

View attachment 284959 View attachment 284960 View attachment 284961