Homes Hidgeback tortoise

Does anyone have a homes tortoise for sale or adoption?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Salas

Location (City and/or State)
I just got a homes tortoise, have read as much as I can about this odd species, got him yesterday, will he always be so shy? Looking to buy or adopt another medium size one

zovick

10 Year Member!
I just got a homes tortoise, have read as much as I can about this odd species, got him yesterday, will he always be so shy? Looking to buy or adopt another medium size one

Hello David,

Homes Hingebacks are rather shy and inactive during the daylight hours. They become more active at dawn and dusk. Give the tortoise time and it will become more used to its new surroundings. I recommend putting a 12" by 18" piece of plywood on top of a couple of bricks to form a hiding area for the tortoise. Mine liked that and stayed under their "roof" much of the time, only venturing out to eat on occasion during the day. In the early mornings and early evenings, they would come out and walk around much more than at other times unless I happened to put a plate full of night crawlers in the enclosure, at which point, a mad dash was made from the hide area to the plate no matter what time of day it was.

To begin with, I would try putting any food offered just a little ways under the front portion of the hide area I recommended above so the tortoise can eat without going all the way out into the open and feeling vulnerable.

See my comments on your other thread as well for more ideas on exactly what to feed the tortoise.

Good luck!

Bill Zovickian

Last edited:

David Salas

Thank you Bill, I have him in a PVC care 3ftx2.5ft? Not absolutely sure of exact measurements, but I have a florescent UV. Light tube overhead ,inside the enclosure it's all black with cypress mulch covered in spagnum and moss. A small coil UVB light that shines in a roughly limited area so as not to blind him. A large very wide plant ceramic water tray, he seems to regularly drink and soak in. This morning I'm happy to say that he took some bites out of his cooked sweet potato and don't know how much or if any of the tortoise forest food he eate because it's all stumped over. Sorry but he inside his "telly tubby" size house cover in moss, I think he likes it. Last night he was up all night, walking around, and only went inside when the lights kicked on this mourning. Am I doing this sweet animal justice? Also would he do fine with a female bells tortoise? Or a speaks? Thinking of getting a female but not sure if this is the best thing to do for him. I know all creatures have sexual drive, so...in not sure?! Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 151110831681111164403.jpg
    151110831681111164403.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

David Salas

Living in South Carolina and it's Nov here and cold at nights, so of cause he's inside his new enclosure, it was a vertical enclosure originally but I turned it on its side and rearrange the light fixtures. Was thinking of cutting a viewing window on the back so he can see the sun rise and sun set by my window.
But come this spring I going to make him an fenced or wooden area escape proof and preditore proof. In my back yard. I think he would be happy there. I have .5 acres fenced back yard with lots of growth weeds and brush. Lots of rabbits owls and unfortunately goddamned squerls so I plan to make it close to the backdoor of my house. Have a fake owl that really helps scare many annoying animals away. So as you can tell i gave a lot of thoughts to keeping vormits away. Ever vigilant of fire ants- very nervous about those little Bastards! They killed a savanna monitor baby I had years back. But I'm retired now and have a lot of time on my hands, so ever vigilant is my new moto.